5 - The Struggle for Happiness

Next morning

I stir awake, brushing away something tickling tickling my cheek.

"Finally awake?"

My eyes open, and meet with Beatrix's. She's standing on the side of the bed and leaning over me, with her long golden hair trickling down her shoulders and down to mine.

I instinctively look towards the window, with a feeling of building stress, but thankfully it's only almost daylight. I almost groan at the thought of another day filled with the torment of paperwork.

What am I even doing this for anymore?

There's no need to rush anymore, is there? My chest starts hurting again, as my mind drifts back to yesterday in a swirl of dark thoughts.

Is if to interrupt my stream of thoughts, Beatrix pokes my cheek. Not just revealing the tickling feeling from before, but also some rather bratty behavior.

I stare at her disapprovingly, and then end up glancing down, and realize that she's only in a chemise and an apron. 

I sigh and cover my eyes.

"Why are you wearing that?"

I know I'm heartbroken, but you're a lady for gods sake.

"Why? Because my night intruder has to start his work day soon, and I made breakfast as you were going to be late"

I roll away from her. Not the apron.

A moment of silence spreads between us.

My stomach turns.

I do want to go back... but...

I want to grab Delia in my arms and forgive her. Say that it was just stupid misunderstandings... but will fixing it this time prevent it from happening again? Or something else for that matter?

What if she just leaves one day without a letter, because she thought I did something again, and I have to search for her?

"...you have to go back."

No...

"Unlike with me, you cannot just run away from Delia. She is not a forced betrothed you can just entertain when you feel like it. You are the one that invited her into your heart, your family, your home and called her your fiancé. She is waiting for you, probably brawling her tears out over the mistake she has made."

I look back to Beatrix.

"Why are you doing this? Trying to help Delia out instead of seducing me."

She looks at me quietly for a long while, and hesitates.

"Think of it as me making up for telling you something I shouldn't have."

"But you were right."

"...Even if I was, would you be here in my bed if I had not told you? I think I gave you an easy way out, instead of making you face the situation, like a king should. If you don't go back now and make a proper decision, won't you regret it?"

I frown and then let out a heavy sigh. I would.

"When you say it like that, you aren't cute at all."

She's mixing duty into it. But she's not wrong either. But part of me wishes that she had given me an easy way out. I feel a soft wave of bitterness.

"Then, was letting me in yesterday your duty to the crown? Because you couldn't just let me 'off myself' in heartache?"

I sit up, and grab her jaw trying in futility to puff myself up, but all she gives me in return, is a coy smile.