4 - Heartbreak

Delia's Point of View

I thought I'd woken up extra early today, but Clovis was already gone by the time I woke up, again. Just how early does he get up? I wish we could at least have breakfast together...

I suppose this is because I can't do my part of the work...

I sigh, and then quickly shake my head. No, we can't go and be dejected already!

I clap my cheeks to fire myself up, to get ready for the day.

Usually I'd go to the library to study with Syrel, but today I have a plan! I'm going to make Clovis lunch, and bring it to him. That way we can spend just a little time together. I smile happily at the idea of a little garden picnic with him.

I go down to the kitchen, a bit worried the kitchen staff would chase me out of there, but partly unexpected they smile at me warmly instead, like they've been waiting for me.

"Miss Delia? Is there anything we can do for you?"

I must have gotten used to Syrel calling me Lady, because the miss sounds a little wrong. I am Clovis' fiancé now after all... Aren't I supposed to be called Lady?

I shake it off.

They're smiling. It's not that they disapprove of me.

"I would like to make lunch for Clovis, would it be okay I borrow the kitchen?"

I ask, as usually nobles aren't really allowed down here.

The head chef smiles as she wipes her hands clean in her apron.

"Of course, if you need anything just call, and we will find it for you, come, I'll help you find an apron and show you around."

I feel the worry flutter away, and my heart fill with happiness. I'm sure Clovis told them I like to go to the kitchen and made them aware.

I blush a bit, thinking about how I fed him my last homemade lunch with the same fork I had eaten from.

I'm sure he will be happy.

Later

I end up spending the morning making the lunch for Clovis, and... I probably overdid it a little as well. It's been so long since we ate together, that I got a little too excited.

A smile a little to myself as I pack everything into a picnic basket, and bring a blanket too. It's great weather, and all the flowers in the garden are blooming.

I get everything ready, and then head out, with the kitchen people waving to me.

As far as I recall, Clovis had said that the offices were in the other end of the summer palace, so it'll take a little while to get there. I may have gone a little too early though, but it'll probably be fine if I just wait.

...it ends up taking twenty minutes.

Why are the offices so far away?!

I dressed myself up too, in high heels and all. I think I can feel a few blisters coming.

I wince. I might have been a little foolish.

I approach the offices from the garden side, looking at the time on the clock tower, and it rings for lunch. I barely made it.

With a bit of excitement filling my chest with butterflies, I hide behind a tree. If I surprise him, what kind of face will he make?

The doors open.