Eighteen

"My dad is Tony Stark", Tate stated as soon as he had sat down. He pulled out his lunch box and grinned happily when he saw that Claire had made him katsudon. He was just taking a bite when he looked up to see the boys all watching him. Jason and Charley both staring in astonishment. Abe looked confused while Ned had his mouth hanging open. Peter and Callum were both eating, unbothered.

"Haha", Abe rolled his eyes. "Very funny Tate. Now what was it your wanted to tell us?"

Tate wrinkled his nose in annoyance. "I wanted to tell you guys that my dad is Tony Stark, and I'm sorry for lying to you all for so long".

Charley choked and Jason slapped him on the back. Once his coughing fit had stopped, he stared. "Dude, really?"

"Yeah", Tate nodded as he chewed.

"Really really?" Jason seconded.

"Yep".

"Like honestly, really?"

"Yes".

"Holy shit", Jason blinked. "Tate, you're rich!"

"He is", Callum grinned as he slung an arm around Tate's shoulders. "He has his own lab and cinema. And swimming pool! It's so cool". Everyone stared at him.

"Callum, you knew this whole time?" Charley glared accusingly. "And you didn't tell us?" Next to Ned, Peter blinked and stared at his food, trying not to bring attention to himself. Tate caught the look and hid his grin behind his hand.

"Yes", Callum had a hesitant wide eyed look. "Since freshman year but I wasn't legally allowed to tell you guys. I swear!" He held out his hands in defence as everyone glared at him. Charley threw a breadstick that bounced off Callum's nose. Tate snorted at the dark haired boy's crossed eyed look.

"Peter knew too", Tate pointed out. Abe and Ned both gasped dramatically in betrayal. Everyone's eyes now fixed on Peter.

Peter looked like a rabbit caught in headlights. "Only because of the Stark internship!" He defended. "I wasn't allowed to tell anyone either!"

"I feel so betrayed", Abe moaned, one hand clutching at his chest.

"You so owe me Peter", Ned muttered. "Lego Death Star, and don't you dare back out". Peter nodded as Tate giggled.

Charley and Jason were still staring at Tate quizzically. "So, the Stark blog rumours", Charley spoke up. "Which are true?"

"Yeah, we demand details now as payback for keeping in this from us for so long". Jason pointed a finger at him like it was a gun. "You're on our shit list now Tate".

"Is it true that Tony adopted you? Do you have your own Ironman suit? Have you met the avengers?"

"You've got to bring us to your house now", Abe commanded. "No excuses. I want to see Stark tower!"

Tate giggled under the onslaught. "Whoa whoa guys", he grinned. "So you're not angry at me?"

"Oh I'm pissed", Jason snorted with a teasing smirk. "I can't believe you are rich and yet you dress like a Emo anime nerd". He shook his head with a sigh. "Fucking hell Tate".

"I know right?" Callum rolled his eyes. "I've been trying to get him some fashion sense for years. Trust me when I say it's a lost cause".

"I'm just annoyed that you've never taken us on holiday", Abe said as he chewed on his sandwich. "You have a private jet. Why can't you take us somewhere cool?"

"Holy heck you're probably the richest kid in school", Ned exclaimed. "That's so cool. I know Tony Stark's son!"

Tate was laughing now. He had good friends. "Charley?" He asked. "You mad?"

"Fuck yeah", Charley scowled. "But I suppose I understand why you kept it quiet. Too much media attention".

"Yeah, that and the kidnapping attempts", Tate added. "It's not exactly all fun and games". His friends all fell silent at that.

"Wait", Abe frowned as he thought. "So your accident. It wasn't a car crash?" Tate winced.

"Nope", Callum grinned with relish. The dick had been waiting for ages to tell them this. "He was the guy in the silver iron man suit at Germany. He got those injured catching Patriot like an idiot". Tate huffed at him, angrily chewing on his lunch. He looked like a angry hamster.

Another series of blinks and astonished faces all round the table. "Holy shit dude", Abe commented. "Not only are you secretly rich and the son of an avenger, but you're also a hero as well? Dude!"

"Tate!" Jason and Charley snarled in synch. Tate froze. Both boys protective streaks coming out. (Despite their appearances. Jason with his sunny jock personality, and Charley with his cool and aloof aura. Both of them were mother hens and drama kings.)

"That's it", Jason muttered. "We are coming home with you tonight. All of us".

"Yes!" Charley snapped. "And we are going to sit in your probably super cool room and have a massive sleep over. There will be movies, snacks and take out. No arguments".

"Heck yeah!" Abe cheered. He threw his hands up and his bag of chips scattered over the table.

"Abe!" Callum was laughing as he knocked the chips from his bag.

"Can we come?" Ned asked, eyes lighting up with excitement.

Tate shrugged. There was no point arguing. They were right, he did sort of owe them. "Yeah sure. The more the merrier".

"Yes! Peter?"

Peter was watching them nervously. "I've got the Stark internship tonight", he mumbled.

"Just come when you're finished", Tate waved a hand. "I'll tell Friday to let you in".

"Whose Friday?" Abe frowned.

"His cool robotic butler", Callum explained.

"She's not a robotic butler. She's dad's AI, artificial intelligence. She is sort of my glorified nanny when dad and Pepper are out".

"Could this get any freaking cooler?" Ned sighed dreamily. "I'm going to die".

Tate laughed as Charley began once again quizzing him about the gossip papers. Jason butting in with arguments and debates. Abe and Callum conversing excitedly about Stark tower with Ned. All their voices a loud and passionate jumble. It was chaotic. It was messy and amusing. He was glad that their table was in a secluded part of the cafeteria and away from the other students. Tate didn't want to think about what it could be like if the whole school knew. That would be bad.

Tate smiled fondly as he watched his friends. He caught Peter's eyes across the table. The brown haired boy the only other quiet one. Peter smiled at him warmly and Tate beamed back. The nerves from this morning gone. His chest filled with warmth towards his friendship group. Tate gave Peter a thumbs up and turned back to Charley and Jason's debate. (They were arguing about a stupid article on Stark blog about How Tony and Captain America were in a forbidden romance. The bullshit made Tate crack up). Peter's eyes lingering on him for the rest of lunch.

Unedited