Twenty four

"Why am I here?" Tate asked as Abe dragged him over to the yellow school bus. The dark skinned boy had a hold of his arm and was quite literally pulling him along behind him. Tate stumbled along, his gait with his cane out of rhythm. Abe noticed this and mercifully slowed down so that he could keep up. Instead, Tate pulled his skateboard from his back and dropped it to the ground. He grabbed the back of Abe's backpack and let the boy pull him across the car park. The wheels rolling smoothly over the tarmac.

"Moral support of course", Abe rolled his eyes. "The others were too busy and I know that you have nothing else to do. Besides, you volunteered to come ages ago. I've already cleared it with teach". Tate glanced at Mr Harris. The man was waving a few sheets of paper and a clipboard as he counted up the students. Tate wondered why he was allowed to come, since everything there was part of the team. But he had technically signed up to the team months ago. His accident meant that he barely attended meetings due to the numerous doctor and physical appointments. So he guessed he was allowed to come. Abe wasn't taking no for an answer and he was getting bored stuck in the apartment.

"Hey Mr Harris!" Abe called. The man looked up and nodded.

"Abe. Tate. Nice to see you. Catch". Mr Harris threw Abe a golden blazer. "It's our team uniform". Tate hopped off his skateboard and picked it up as Abe struggled into the blazer.

"Hi Tate. Nice to see you", Liz greeted. He smiled back and nodded at MJ. The girl smiled and nodded back.

"How come the cripple is here?" Flash remarked loudly. "He's not even part of the team".

"Oh fuck off flash", Tate shot back. "Or this cripple will beat you up with his cane". He waved it threateningly and the group laughed as Flash jumped back.

"Technically he's been apart of our team for the past three months", Mr Harris pointed out. "He just hasn't been able to make it to meets".

"He knows the questions", Abe spoke up. "I've been making him quiz me". Tate nodded and leaned on his friend's shoulder. Abe was the only one in their friendship group that Tate was taller than. He definitely abused that advantage.

"It's a free trip to DC", Tate said. "Might as well come and record your victory for you".

"I'm glad that you are certain of our victory", Liz laughed.

"Of course. You have MJ, who is badass", Tate gave MJ a high five. "You have Abe who is quick at the questions, and at ringing the bell. Everyone here has been practising really hard and you've been a really good captain". Abe made a ding noise and flashed them all finger guns. Liz laughed again.

"You're so sweet Tate".

"Absolutely adorable", Cindy giggled. She leaned over to gently boop his nose. Tate grinned under the attention. That was his reputation. Loveable, friendly and just nice to everyone who was nice to him. Liz and her girls were used to his flattery.

"If it was anyone else, I would think you're flirting", Sally teased with a grin.

"Sorry to all the guys, girls and non-binary hoes", Abe gave a deep mournful sigh. "But our adorable Baby Stark is Demi and therefore unavailable and uninterested". Liz, Sally and Cindy all sighed in joking disappointment and leaned against each other while giving Tate sad eyes.

"I know, it's such a shame". Tate flicked his hair to the back. "Me being on the Ace spectrum is just to save you from all of this". He mimed himself. Abe snorted.

"Don't worry though, the great Abe is single. Ladies", he winked and the girls laughed.

"Wow", MJ muttered, deadpan. "And that just makes everything better". She smirked at them from where she was leaning against the bus. Tate burst out laughing as Abe pretended to gasp like a shocked Victorian lady. Mj's sharp tongue and sarcastic humour never failed to make him laugh.

"Hey it's Peter", Abe announced. They all turned to see Peter jogging up towards them. Tate's laugher failed as he noticed how Peter's hair blew over his forehead and the pink to the other boy's cheeks.

"Guys", he grinned at them. Tate felt his own mouth tug into a subconscious grin back. Abe elbowed him with a teasing look and Tate hurriedly schooled his expression. (Callum, Jason and Charley had caught Abe up on the events of the sleepover as soon as the boy was better, including the revelation of Tate's first ever crush on somebody. It was a big event). Peter looked over the group nervously. "I was thinking I could rejoin the team".

"No. No way", Flash pushed through them to stand in front of him. "You can't just quit on us, stroll up and be welcomed back by everyone".

"Hey! Welcome back Peter", Mr Harris greeted as he stepped off the bus. "Flash, you're back to first alternate".

"What?"

"He's taking your place", Abe called with a grin. The groups tittered.

"Um excuse me can we go already?" MJ spoke up. "Cause I was hoping to get in some light protesting in front of one of the embassy ins before dinner".

"Protesting is patriotic", Mr Harris nodded. "Let's get on the bus". Flash tore off his gold blazer and shoved it at Peter as the group started boarding.

"Which embassy?" Tate asked as he followed Abe onboard. "Cause we could protest the illegal organ selling out side the Chinese embassy. Or how about sweatshop factories and child labour outside primark? I'm pretty sure Pepper is at a conference about it in Dc right now".

"That's a good idea", MJ nodded as they worked their way through the aisle. Tate took the empty bench behind her. Abe across the aisle from him. "Who's Pepper?"

"My dads girlfriend. Sort of my step mom. Well, as soon as he proposes to her. I've been waiting for him to do it for years", Tate huffed and rolled his eyes. MJ chuckled.

"That's cool. Her name is just like Pepper Potts. That woman is so cool. She's one of my top five inspirations".

"Yeah. She's pretty inspiring", Tate nodded.

"Head of Stark industries. CEO of the biggest technological company in the world. Currently working on sustainable energy and reducing global warming. Feminist. Supports dozens of charities on abuse support, women's rights, children in care. She is so freaking cool", MJ gushed. She then blinked and coughed, hurriedly putting her usual disinterested face back on. "I mean. Yeah, she's inspiring".

Tate grinned. "She is definitely awesome". As the bus set off, he tried to ignore Peter sitting a few rows away. Liz pulled out bells and flash cards and set them practising. With all the noise and chatter, and the constant fire questions, Tate didn't get a chance to talk to him. At one point his phone rang and Peter moved to the back of the bus. Tate watched him go. He heard the name Happy as Peter passed him. He sent the boy a questioning look and Peter mouthed 'Later' before sitting down with Ned.

Tate noticed how Ned listened to the call and tried not to feel hurt. Peter was keeping him out of it. Somehow, he was not sure when, Ned had been told. Now the boy was more involved than he was. Tate tried not to feel bad about it. But the sudden stabbing ache in his chest made him sigh. He just through the that the hero stuff was their thing. He was the only friend who knew. Now Ned knew, and he and Peter were both up to something and they hadn't filled Tate in. Peter hadn't even told Tate how he got into trouble last weekend, how he had to be fished out of a lake. Tate was worried that he would get hurt. Peter's sudden choice not to include him hurt. It hurt more now that Tate had figured out his feelings for the boy. With a sad resignation, he turned back to face the front. He just hoped that Peter would tell him later.

Unedited