Eight

"What the hell is going on?" Tate demanded once Tony and him were in the car later that evening. Happy, upon seeing the anger on Tate's face, had quickly closed the partition and kept his attention on the road.

The car hummed along as they pulled out of Peter's street. Tony had made up some bullshit story about a stark internship course in Germany to give to May Parker. Apparently a student had dropped out last minute and due to Tate's recommendation, Peter had been chosen to fill their place. It was all very sudden but it was a once in a lifetime opportunity. Stark industries would be willing to cover the costs and details, bla bla bla. Tony was a very good speaker. May brought it and they would be picking Peter up in the morning.

If Tate was anyone else, he would have believed it too. But he knew his farther and he knew that this was desperate. Tony slumped against the leather car seat and sighed deeply. Tate pulled a napkin from the dispenser and opened the mini fridge built into the door. He wrapped the napkin around some ice cubes and passed it wordlessly to Tony. The man smiled softly and held it up to his purple eye.

"Dad. What's going on? You left urgently on Saturday. The news has been a shit storm over the avengers. Half of the stuff in the tower is being moved. If you don't explain then I'll find out through shield".

"Please don't", Tony grumbled. "They're pissed off at us already. I don't need to have another argument with the directors". He tugged his tie off in a jerky motion, obviously exhausted.

Tate waited as Tony seemed to gather his thoughts. The only sound was the muted traffic outside and the purr of the engine beneath them. Lights passed in slow flashes across both their faces, making both males seem ghoulish and wain. Tate waited patiently as a Tony ran a hand over his face, pausing to massage the bridge of his nose.

"I can help", Tate muttered softly. "You know I can".

"Yeah I know. You're so much like your mother", Tony smiled at him. "Okay. No telling Pepper. Let me tell Pepper".

Tate perked up, nodding enthusiastically. Pepper would loose her shit if she knew that Tate was getting involved with Avenger business. She was very adamant that Tate was not to be put in danger. But that was sort of comprised by the fact that Tate was Tony Stark's son and heir to Stark industries.

Tony took in the eagerness on Tate's face and sighed gently. His son always wanted to help. Tate was always very independent and self assured. Ever since he first arrived, Tate was trying to help and make himself less of a bother. 'Less of a burden', he had once admitted after a long night of nightmares. Tony would look at him and still see that tiny boy he had met in the meeting room. All big eyes and lanky limbs yet stubborn and fierce. If Tony could choose, he would wrap Tate in bubble wrap and keep him safe.

But Tate was also highly intelligent. He had definitely inherited his mother's brain, even though he had no passion for chemistry and the traditional sciences. Tony knew that his son could definitely help. Tate had a extraordinary memory and was the fastest learner that Tony had ever met. Yet he was still young, trusting and innocent. Oh so passionate and loving.

Tony opened his mouth and began to explain the last weeks events. Tate had seen on the news the incident Wanda had with the bomb and the assignation of the king of Wakanda. Tony caught Tate up with the behind the scenes events. He detailed the accords and their purpose, Tate listening with a blank face. Then Tony got to the case of Bucky Barnes, the winter soldier, and the argument with Steve. His face grew grave and angry as he explained Steve leaving.

"Did Steve hit you?" Tate asked in concern.

Tony shook his head. "No. Got this from his buddy". The ice had melted and he dumped the soggy napkin in the bin.

"Why did you sign the accords?" Tate questioned. He had the familiar look on his face that Ira Doe had often worn. Tony remembered her in college. Whenever he had stormed into her room in a huff, she would regard him with a look as if she could see all his insecurities laid out on display across his face. All his hidden thoughts for her to see. Tate wore that expression well. Younger, a bit more softer but not any less analysing.

Tony lifted his gaze to the ceiling. "A few years before you turned up, Pepper was almost killed. When she was safe again I gave her my word that I would leave this business. Trash my suits and everything. Them Ultron happened, my fault. And you arrived less than half a year later. I thought the accords could help keep me in check. Cause I don't want to stop".

Tate nodded, taking the confession in slowly. Tony waited for him to ask why? But instead Tate, opens his mouth and asked, "Is that why Pepper and you are not around at the same time anymore? Have you broken up?"

Tony patted Tate on the shoulder. "No. But we're taking a break. We both still care for you and will both be there for you. We just need a bit of space within our own relationship". Tate nodded again and did not comment on it further. In some ways Tony was glad he didn't. But the lack of reaction still concerned him. Tony let it pass with the mental note to talk to Tate more about it later.

"So how can I help?"

Tony visibly deflated defeatedly. He couldn't believe he was at this stage. Ready to use his own son. Tate seemed to be catching onto his train of thought for his brows furrowed.

"No. I can help", he demanded fiercely, jerking a finger at Tony. "Don't push me away dad. You are my dad in every sense of the word. We may not be biologically related but you are my father in every way that matters. You took me in after my mom died. Just let me help you for once". His voice cracked, tone becoming more pleading.

Tony crumpled under the weight of teary eyes. "Come here". He held out his arms and pulled Tate to his chest. The boy curled up, forehead on his father's shoulder. Tony clutched the boy close. Despite Tate almost being as tall as him, the boy managed to curl up at his side in a away that made him feel small. It was reminiscent of the nights after Tate had first arrived. The boy had been scared and lonely. He would find his way into Tony's workshop and curl up at his side, watching him work until he fell asleep.

"You don't need to feel the urge to repay me for anything kiddo".

"No! I want to help because you need it", Tate replied hurriedly. "I can man the coms. Be your person behind a screen. What about the rollerblades we made? The super fast ones. I can provide cover. You know I can defend myself perfectly well". His voice grew harsher. He pulled himself out of Tony's grip to look him in the eyes.

"Yes I know.."

"You're taking Peter and he didn't know how to throw a punch properly until today", Tate argued, voice growing louder. Distantly, both of them realised that the car had stopped and they were in the underground car park of Stark tower. But neither of them moved.

"Peter has super strength", Tony pointed out. "You're just human".

"So. are. you". The sentence was spoken slowly to drive in the point. Tate faded his father with determined eyes. Tony looked at his face then sighed.

"Fine. You will be back up. You will be manning the coms and providing surveillance. You will be watching the fight and if any of Cap's team go for you, you use the rollerblades to get away. Understand?"

Tate nodded eagerly. "Yes! Thank you!" He threw his arms around his father's neck and hugged him tightly. Tony smiled and returned the gesture, basking for a moment in his pride and love for his son. Neither men were very touchy-feely by nature, so hugs like this were rare. Not uncommon, they just normally showed affection in different ways. Still, Tony always enjoyed moments like this. Tate was his son. He made him want to be a better person.

After a long moment, Tate pulled away. He flashed Tony with a eager grin. "So want to get started on Peter's suit. Any initial plans?"

Tony beamed back, relaxing fully for the first time in days. He pushed open the car door and got out, Tate on his heels as he talked. "Oh yeah. What do you take me for? I'm thinking full body systems. Maybe it's own AI? It would need to be mobile but also slightly sensory deprivating. A parachute if the kid falls from a building. Thermal regulator of course"..

Unedited
I hope this gives you a bit more of an idea of Tate's and Tony's relationship.
No Tony is not his biological father. Tate is a sperm donor baby.