Twenty eight

"Tate". The boy looked up at the sound of his name. Eyes glancing away from his iPad to face his father across the kitchen isle. Both Stark's were in their pyjamas still. Tony with ruffled hair and a pair of navy sweats and a old stained Stark industries tshirt. A cup of coffee was in his hands, the mug reading 'Irondad' that Tate had brought for him last Father's Day. Across the marble counter, Tate was slouched over his fruit loops. His hair fluffy with bed head and the too big neck of his tshirt sloping over his shoulder and hanging over his leggings. On the screen of his iPad was yet another news article about the events the day before. The heroic save of a high school decathlon team by Spider-Man.

"Yeah dad?" Tate mumbled, eyes flicking back over the writing again. Tony sighed, one of his rare parental sighs. Instantly, Tate tore his eyes away and gave the man his full attention. Tony looked at him over his mug.

"Tate, are you okay?" The words were awkward. Tate and Tony both shared a wince. Tony set down his cup. "Urgh hell, you know I'm shit at the emotional stability stuff. That's why we talk to Pepper". Pepper was in Japan and was due to fly back tomorrow. Tate wondered why Tony hadn't waited for her to come back. But he guessed that while their relationship was mending and they were back to dating now, Tony was still Tate's legal guardian. Sometimes he remembered that he had to do the hard and bad part of parenting too. This seemed to be another one of those times but Tate was confused over what had triggered it. Had he done something bad recently?

Tony exhaled loudly. "Look, small fry"-

"Is this about the lab explosion down on eighty four? Because that wasn't me".

Tony blinked. "I knew you had something to do with that!" Then he shook his head. "No. You're putting me off track. Tate, kiddo"-

"It wasn't me", Tate declared, holding up his hands. "I know you said no skating for another week or so but my physio said it should be okay. And my legs only really bother me when I overdo it. I carry my cane like I promise".

"No. Tate. Shush for second and let me talk". Tate shut his mouth and blinked big innocent brown eyes at his father. Tony sighed again and tried to look serious. "I was thinking that we haven't talked recently. I know that Pepper and I have been busy lately with the accords and our own relationship problems but you can talk to me kiddo". Before Tate could respond and say that there was nothing to talk about, Tony gave him a look. "And I know about your calls with Harley increasing recently. Also the pizza sleepover last week and Kpop? Standard Tate Stark cheer up methods. Then the scary news about your friends last night and the stress of the approaching move. Are you okay? You've been seeming down recently".

Tate blinked in surprise. He opened his mouth, closed it, then opened it again. Tony was observing him patiently. "So you picked up on that", he sighed after a while.

"I may not be great at this parenting thing but I have learnt some tricks over the years", Tony cracked a small smile. "Do you want to talk about it?"

Tate shrugged, throat suddenly tight. His turned his gaze to his soggy cereal and began stirring it with his spoon as he thought of what he wanted to say. "I'm just frustrated. I want to be back on a skateboard again but my legs won't work. I hate having to sit out and watch my friends do things they love. Also I"- he broke off then said the next sentence in a huge rush. "I might have a crush on someone and it hurts because he doesn't like me back and I'm not sure what to do about it".

Across the table, Tony choked on the his mouthful of coffee. Tate watched him splutter and cough. "You have a WHAT?" The man; genius, billionaire, playboy, philanthropist, paled at the thought. He waved his hands. "But I thought you were on the, what is it? The ace spectrum. You had a big coming out to Pepper and I last year. I thought you were just struggling about being kept a secret and I was gonna talk to you about maybe revealing that you were my son after the move or something. Not", he gestured defeatedly at the air. "This. Not yucky teen crushes. I remember those. They are not fun".

"Tell me about it", Tate muttered s he resumed eating his cereal. The lump in his throat loosening at the familiar Tony Stark dramatics. The dramatics were easier to deal with than his serious parent face. "Wait, you were going to reveal me? Like tell the press about me? That you're my adoptive father and all?"

Tony paused. "Well yeah. I know you hated keeping it a secret from you friends. Next step is the world right? You're old enough that you can decide now if you want. You've been training with Natasha and I want to boast about how smart my son is. It will change a lot but it's your decision anyway. That way I can bring you to proper meetings and put your name on your designs. You're sixteen in six in just over a week. You shouldn't have to hide who you are".

Tate slid off his stool and walked around the counter to give his dad a hug. Tony smiled as he folded the smaller body in his arms. "I would like that", He sighed into Tony's shoulder. "Thanks dad".

"Don't mention it. It was only supposed to be for your safety but you're brave enough to handle yourself. Germany taught me that. I'm proud of you kiddo. I should tell you more often".

Tate let out a low breath, trying not to tear up at the words. His mother had been proud of him, he knew that but she had never said it enough before she died. Tony telling him always brought up memories of his mother. It was in a good but grieving way that always made Tate cry like baby. (He didn't think that he would ever stop crying about his mother. It was one of those old wounds that will haunt him for the rest of his life). He sniffed and felt Tony's hand stroke over his hair soothingly. After a few minutes as Tate collected himself, he pulled away.

"You okay there kiddo?" Tate nodded. "Good. Now explain to me your crush. I can't believe you have feelings for others. They grow up so fast. Heck I'm old". Tony huffed then froze as a thought struck him. "Do I need to threaten them? I've got my suit on call".

"No dad, no". Tate shook his head. "No, it's unrequited anyway. He doesn't like me like that. He has a crush on a girl".

"So it's a boy", Tony clapped his hands together. "So what's your sexuality again?"

"Demisexual dad", Tate rolled his eyes. "I don't have crushes on people unless I develop an emotional bond with them first. It's still on the ace spectrum. I haven't suddenly started lusting after strangers like most of my fellow teens. Don't worry".

"Thank god", Tony exhaled. "Teen boys and sex is terrible. I know, I was a teen boy obsessed with sex once. It's horrible. Glad that doesn't bother you. Now tell me who it is, because you take after your old man and seem to have dozens of friends. I can't keep track of them all".

"No", Tate scowled. "No. You'll just embarrass me. Definitely not. As I said, he likes someone else. A girl. He's not at all interested in me".

"It's not that Abe boy is it?" Tony frowned. "Because you seem pretty close. But then again, you're close with a-lot of boys. My son is popular". He nudged Tate with a wink and the boy laughed.

"Dad", he whined. "No. It's definitely not Abe. I'm not telling you".

"Does Harley know?"

"Of course", Tate rolled his eyes again. "He picked up on it before I did".

"Smart boy", Tony nodded. "And your friends?"

"My close friends know".

"Friday? Do you know?" Tony called up to the ceiling.

"Yes boss", the automated female voice replied. Tony deflated with a pout.

"So everyone knows apart from me. When did you start keeping secrets from your old man? It seems like just yesterday we were building robots under the desk. You were so small and cute". Tony sighed forlornly.

Tate sniggered, a fond smile pulling on his lips. "Whatever dad. I've got to go to school now".

"I'll figure it out!" Tony called after him as Tate retreated back to his room. "My boy having crushes? What is the world coming too?"

Unedited