Chapter 7

A NEW START

————

A few days passed and Yibo can finally get out of the hospital. During those days, Xiao Zhan never bothered, just like what Ziyi said. They were in the same hospital but never made a contact, not even eye contact.

Yibo was carrying Zheng Fanxing on his left arm as the doctor said that he can't move his right arm too much. He asked his son, "Fanxing, do you want something?"

The child nodded cutely and pointed at something using his tiny fingers.

Wang Yibo looked at it and saw a water bottle. He got confused and asked, "You want some water?"

Zheng Fanxing nodded in a yes.

Wang Yibo sighed and gave the water bottle to his son. He stared at him drinking the water all energized. He doesn't know whether he should be happy that his son doesn't want to spend too much money or be sad because he can't spend money to spoil his kid. In the end, he still let out a chuckle and patted his son's head.

Meng Ziyi who's been looking at them smiled. "You're going to be a great father."

Wang Yibo, "Yeah? Haha, I wonder if Zhan thinks the same." He said not averting his gaze from his son.

Meng Ziyi, "The papers should be done in a few days or one. He's going to be officially your son and I'll go around to travel the world. Time's running so fast."

Wang Yibo looked at Ziyi. "Indeed. Hope you will find your happiness soon."

Meng Ziyi, "Haha it's also hard, you know. Fanxing is my son and it's hard to leave him, but knowing that he's in your hands I can be at ease."

Wang Yibo, "Don't worry, I'll take proper care of him. For you.... and for Zhan,"

Meng Ziyi, "Good then."

Wang Yibo opened the door. "Let's go."

Wang Yibo let his friend get out of the room first then he followed her outside.

At that moment, they are both aware that if they take a step out of that room everything will change. They will start again and hope that at the end of the path that they will take, they can find the happiness that both of them want. A new start... but this time they know the things they should avoid. They have been hurt before and they are stronger now. Hopefully, everything will go smoothly.

On the other side, Xiao Zhan was still overworking himself. Sometimes he gets headaches and gets dizzy, but he still went on working. To him, there was no new path to take, he still cries, he's still broken, he's still weak. There is no night that he wouldn't cry. He doesn't even know why he's crying, perhaps because he's too tired, perhaps because he can't take anymore, or perhaps because he knew himself that he couldn't let go of Yibo.

He is still holding on, but the other didn't take his hands. He was too crushed and no one was there to help him. At least Yibo has a friend like Ziyi and a son that reminds him of his love. But him? He doesn't have anyone. As for Zhuocheng, he only knew him a few months ago and he doesn't even know that Yibo is his ex. He has no one to hold unto.

Xiao Zhan tried his best not to fall asleep while talking to the patient. He was feeling dizzy and he hasn't eaten anything since last night but he tried to look normal as possible.

Patient, "Doc, are you ok?"

Xiao Zhan gritted his teeth. "Y-yeah, I'm just feeling a little bit— d-dizzy—"

Xiao Zhan blinked repeatedly and he often hears some faint yellings, saying, "Doctor Xiao?!" His body couldn't take it anymore and his eyes rolled up as his head landed on the table. The yellings that he heard earlier slowly disappeared as his sight turned completely black.

———

When he opened his eyes again, he saw a foreign place. It wasn't completely foreign but his office is not this. It was all white.

"Xiao Zhan,"

He suddenly heard a familiar voice beside him and saw Zhuocheng sitting on a chair.

Xiao Zhan, "Z-Zhuocheng? What's wrong? Why am I here?" He said as he tried to sit up but couldn't as he was still feeling a little dizzy.

Zhuocheng gently pushed his friend back to the bed. "Xiao Zhan, take some more rest. You've overworked yourself too much these days."

Xiao Zhan just gave up and laid down, he asked, "What happened?"

Zhuocheng, "You passed out earlier. Didn't I tell you to eat properly and not to overwork yourself? Look you now, you're a mess."

Xiao Zhan chuckled. "Yes, yes, I won't do it again, I promise."

Zhuocheng is still mad but seeing his friend at ease he just sighed. "Why are you even doing this to yourself?"

Xiao Zhan froze for a moment then a bitter smile appeared on his lips. "I just want to forget something."

Zhuocheng, "Wait what?— You forget something by overworking yourself?"

Xiao Zhan chucked. "Or what do I do? Go to the bar and have fun drinking and flirting with random strangers?"

Zhuocheng blinked. "I mean, that's what I do."

Xiao Zhan shook his head as he sighed. "Forget it, you're such dumbass anyway, why would I listen to you."

Actually, he never touched or let anyone touch him when he and Yibo broke up. He doesn't have the courage to do so. He doesn't even know why, it was as if Yibo cast some kind of spell on him and made him believe that only Yibo can touch him.

Zhuocheng, "Yeah, better not listen to me, you might get yourself in trouble. Let me tell you, there's one time I flirted with this girl then his boyfriend suddenly came and punched me—"

Xiao Zhan cut him off, "Yeah, yeah, yeah, I know, I know. Now please get out, I need to rest." He said as he turned his back towards his friend.

Zhuocheng just clicked his tongue and got out of the room.

————