Salvation #31

Pain rips through the palms of my hands, dragging me out of unconsciousness. I squeal, tipping forward. "Shh honey. You're going to be OK. We're going to get you out of here," a woman soothes, supporting my weight.

I stare at her bleary-eyed before searching for Nate. A man tears at the nail pinning my left hand to the cross.

Agony rushes over my freed right hand. It darts over my wrist. Blood clots the wound, oozing over my fingers.

"W-where's Nate?"

"He's just her. He's OK."

"Elle?" Nate's voice washes over me.

The man manages to rip the nail from my palm. I fall forward and the woman stumbles back, barely holding my weight.

Nate's hands slide around my back, twisting my broken body around and pulling me against him. I cower against his chest, burrowing my face in the bandages wrapped around the cuts sliced into his back.

Despite all that has drained his energy he still manages to hold me upright. His fingers knot amongst my dark hair. He lightly kisses the top of my head before bowing his forehead against mine.

Cooper sniffs my heels before wandering around us in tight rings. The two police officers hover back awkwardly.

"OK Marissa you take them back to the car. I'll search the house," Jason orders bluntly. Nate's head snaps up and his brown eyes stare at the man. "There's three of them and one of you."

"You need to get her to hospital," Jason argues.

"Marissa can take her back to the car," Nate persists.

"You're in no condition to be picking fights."

"It's my sister in there."

Silence ebbs around the four of us. It constricts around our bodies, threatening to suffocate us. "She doesn't speak English," Nate finally breaks the silence.

"Both of you wait in the car. I'll go with Jason, improve the odds a little," Marissa says, "But Nate you can't take much more."

Nate reluctantly agrees, nodding quietly. "There's a handgun in the glove box. Only use it if you have to," Marissa murmurs.

Nate leads me across the field. He hooks his arm across my back and underneath my arm. I lean against him, wincing. "You're going to go home," he murmurs, helping me crawl underneath the barbwire fence.

It tugs at our clothes, tearing holes through my flimsy t-shirt. "Here," he slips his hand over mine, tugging me onto my feet. Cooper jumps over the tangled wire.

Nate unlocks the police squad car. I clamber across the backseat, collapsing against it.

Cooper leaps over my lap and lies on the floor. Nate sits down beside me, carefully closing the door. "Shh. You're OK now," Nate soothes, smoothing my hair back. Automatically I curl beside him, hiding my face in his shoulder. His strong arms wrap around my waist.

"God my hands hurt so much," I choke, staring down at the holes pierced through my palms.

"It's OK. We're going to take you home."

"You made it," I whimper, "I thought I was dying."

Nate's arms wrap tighter around me. He kisses the top of my head. "I wouldn't let that happen," he murmurs, resting his head on top of mine. He gently traces the edge of my jaw, smearing a tear away with the side of his thumb.

Carefully he tilts my head up, frowning. His brown eyes flicker over me, hesitating, "Te amo."

"W-what does that mean?"