Salvation #4

"Roy!" Joan swings around the mahogany railing and races down the last few steps. Sunlight pours through the windows, catching in her red hair. "Roy!"

She stops abruptly in the narrow doorway. Roy glances up at her and stares at her with pallid blue eyes. "Hmm?"

"Ella's not here," Joan sighs.

A frown creases Roy's forehead, "What?" He shifts anxiously and straightens against the marble counter. "She's not in her room," Joan breathes.

"She probably snuck out again," Roy groans, scooping up the phone.

"God Roy what are we going to do?" Joan murmurs. She folds her arms tightly across her chest and falls against the thin doorframe. "I don't know. It's not like we can ground her again. She'll just keep sneaking out," Roy says.

Joan watches him dial the number, cradling the phone lightly in the palm of his hand. He raises the phone to the side of his face and listens to Ella's voicemail. "Ella it's dad. Give us a call as soon as you get this. We just want to know where you are," Roy mumbles, suppressing a groan.

He hangs up and glances at Joan. "We can't just let her off," Joan breathes. Roy shrugs, letting his gaze flicker over the phone. "Try Jacquie's place," Joan says, wandering across the kitchen.

Roy dials the number and brings the phone to his face. "Hello?" Jacqui's voice is full of exhaustion and he can hear the hang over lingering over her mind. "Hi Jacquie it's Roy," he murmurs.

"Oh hay. What's up?" an artificial perky tone slips into Jacquie's voice.

"I was wondering if Ella was there," Roy paces the back of the counter.

 "Um...no. I thought she was at home," confusion is clearly tangled through her voice.

"OK," Roy frowns and stares at Joan, "Um thanks." The line dies leaving behind a soft dial tone. "Jacquie thought she was here," Roy mumbles.

Panic flashes across Joan's features, "Did she say if she knew where she went last night?" Roy shakes his head.

Joan chews her lower lip anxiously. A sickening feeling wrenches her stomach into knots. Her heart swells inside her chest, pushing against her lungs.

Roy can see her nerves written across her face, "I'm sure she's fine. She probably stayed at a friends."

Joan chews her lower lip anxiously, "What if something's happened?"

Her gaze flashes over the phone. "Look how about I go out and look for her. You stay here and wait for her in case she comes home. If I don't find her and if she's not here we'll go to the police," Roy murmurs. His words sends fear racing through his vanes and crawling over his mind. Joan nods slowly, "OK."

Roy kisses the top of her forehead before leaving the house, plunging her into silence. Convulsing, she wanders around the back of the counter. Her fingers twist the hem of her shirt into knots.

The minutes drag on into hours and the anxiety builds inside Joan's chest. She paces the small kitchen in an attempt to ease the panic.

The silence is broken by the sound of the door swinging open. It beats shut against the thick frame. Roy wanders down the hall and stands in the kitchen doorway.

"Did you find her?" Joan's voice sounds frail inside her throat.

Roy shakes his head, "Guess she's not here then."

Joan's legs feel like they might shatter beneath her weight. Tears line the edges of her dark eyes, threatening to spill over. "Oh God," she pleads softly.