Salvation #6

The fluorescent jackets glow under the dusty rays of sunlight. Lantana beats against Marissa's legs, scraping at her long pants. She thrashes against their hold, stumbling through the thick bushland.

"Marissa!" Jason snaps.

"Yeah?" Marissa grunts, breaking free of the Lantana's claws.
"What the hell are you doing?" he shakes his head slowly. Rays of sunlight catch in his caramel brown hair, shadowing his face. "It's the bloody Lantana. Who brought this crap here?" Marissa whines.

"Probably the Europeans," Jason shrugs.

The Lantana thins and dry grass lap up the edges of Marissa's boots. She clambers over the twisted tree roots. "Why would a kid runaway and hide here?" she groans.

"It's close to the road but it's out of sight," Jason murmurs.

"Only you'd think of that. If I was a teenager I would never think of that. I'd be thinking 'bloody hell that looks like effort'," Marissa says.

Strands of her blond hair slip from her ponytail, falling across her face. Sweat beads over her forehead and clings to her skin.

Volunteers and other police officers trudge through the forest around them. The heat buzzes around all of them and the thick sound of cicadas whirls around them.

Jason moves nimbly through the forest, swaying on the ledge of a small, steep cliff. His brown eyes dart up and down the length of the shallow creek trickling through the crevasse. A cave carves through the earth on the opposite side, digging deep beneath the soil.

"You found something?" Marissa shouts, rocking back on her heels.

"I want to take a look down here," Jason says. Hesitantly Marissa wanders over to where Jason is standing.

She watches him cling to a tree branch and slowly crawl down the slope. The earth crumbles away, letting his knees slam against the side of the cliff. Weight jerks against Jason's arm, dragging him toward the ground.

His heart lurches inside his chest, stealing his breath. His body slams against the ground, sending water splashing over his face. "Crap," Jason groans.

A squeal slips between Marissa's lips. She hovers on the edge of the cliff, staring wide eyed down at Jason.

Pain shoots through his back and constricts around his chest. Wincing, he manages to sit up. A hot rush of agony races through his torso.

Leaves cling to his body and water sinks through his clothes. Choking on a frail breath, he glances around the creek.

"Christ Jason! Are you OK?" Marissa says.

"Yeah," Jason cringes and drags himself to his feet, "Just a little sore."

Marissa chews her lower lip and glances over her shoulder. She draws in a deep breath and sits on the edge of the cliff, letting her legs dangle over. Cautiously she lowers herself down the slope. She clambers nimbly down the side of the cliff, landing amongst the shallow water.

She staggers over to Jason, grabbing his shoulder. Her nails dig through his fluorescent jacket like tiny, delicate knives. "Now why would someone come down here?" Marissa mumbles, pulling Jason toward the edge of the creek.

"There's water and shelter. Perfect place to crash for the night," Jason murmurs.

"I'll search the cave. You wait here," Marissa says.

She hovers at the mouth of the cave before stepping inside.

Her fingers fumble at her belt, letting the torch slide loose. She clicks it on, shining it over the walls of the cave.