Chapter 34

THAT AFTERNOON, I DID everything I could to distract myself from thinking about Williams. I watched TV for about forty minutes until I was bored. I turned on a movie, but it had a character in it who looked just like Tracy Mulligan. So I went to the mall, even though I hated the mall. There was an orange dress that caught my eye, and I tried it on. Maybe I could wear it to the club that night.

It fit me perfectly. The skirt swayed around my hips, making me feel like a lady. However, when I went up to purchase the dress and the cashier told me how much it was, I backed off. I just couldn’t spend more than fifty dollars on a piece of clothing. I’d never gotten over that side of me from when I lived in poverty as a kid.

I texted Angela, but she didn’t respond. So I went to the dojo and met Cassandra and Jessie there. We hung out for a while and did some light sparring. They said they hadn’t seen Angela in a couple of days, but that wasn’t new. Sometimes she’d shack up with a guy and not come out until they ran out of alcohol or he pissed her off. Although I didn’t approve of her choices, I didn’t make a big deal about it since she was over eighteen.

I took them to a café, but they had to run soon after we got there. They had a Saturday class they needed to make. I wished them luck and then sat alone at the table, finishing my coffee.

It was only one o’clock and I was bored out of my mind.

So I did what any normal person did on a boring Saturday—went online.

I Googled Solomon, but without his last name, all I got were references to the biblical character. I typed in “Solomon gun training in Boise,” and this revealed more. I came to a Facebook page, but it had no pictures so I wasn’t sure it was him. However, I found a last name: Cole.

Solomon Cole. I typed his name into a few databases, but nothing showed up and there was nothing about him anywhere else online, which was weird. Even the average Joe had a small online presence whether they wanted it or not. But him ... nothing. Who was he? And did he have another interest in me than what he let on?