Chapter 22

WILLIAMS HAD MONEY, HE had power, and this afforded him the means to hire out. But like his father used to say, “If you want something done right, you’ve got to do it yourself.” Hunting was a solo job. It was a sport, really, and one he enjoyed, but cleaning up the mess and doing the dirty work—that’s what he paid others to do.

“You see, Marco, if you’d done your job, if you’d just once done what I told you to do, this would not be happening.” Marco squirmed, but Williams held him down with a knee in the chest.

“I’m sorry. You said fix it, so I did.” Blood trickled from Marco’s nose, and his eyes darted to the eight-inch knife Williams was holding.

“No, Marco, you didn’t fix it—you fixed nothing. If you fixed it, why is she still snooping around, hmm? Tell me, Marco, why is she still alive if you fixed it?”

In a way, he was glad Marco misunderstood him. He needed this, needed to feel again, to see the fear. It fed him like a drug. He was addicted.

“No, boss, you said fix it, not fix them.”

Williams hit Marco in the neck with the palm of his hand. Marco gagged and tried to get free, but Williams was a strong man.

“Don’t tell me what I said. You failed me and now I have to do it. I have to do your job, Marco. How do you think that makes me feel?”

Marco couldn’t speak. He spit out more blood and Williams pressed harder into his chest, feeling a rib snap. This felt almost as good as an aged Scotch.

“Marco, Marco, Marco …” He lowered his tone as if calming a child. “You made a mistake. It’s okay.” Marco stopped struggling and looked up at Williams. A new hope filled his eyes. This was the best part—giving them hope, letting them think they might live.

“Just tell me, Marco, did you do your job? I just want the truth and this will all be over—you’ll be free. Just tell me the truth.”

Marco was crying now and the sight filled Williams with glee. “No, I didn’t. I failed you.”

“Lie!” Williams screamed and thrust the blade into Marco’s side. “You weak little man—you did just what I told you and now you’re lying to me?” Pulling the knife out, he stabbed Marco three more times, once in the left side and two in the right. Blood pooled out of Marco’s mouth and Williams stood to watch. Marco’s lungs would fill up and he would drown. It was not a fast way to die, which made it one of Williams’ favorites.

“You should have told me the truth, Marco, not let me push you around. But you were weak, and the weak deserve to suffer.”