Chapter 35

A PULSE, WITH ACTUAL pressure, went through my body, making my breath catch. The club music wasn’t too loud, it was just really good. Tuned in for the perfect blend of sound and feel.

Mandy was not going to be good tonight. I knew it the moment I saw her dress—or pillowcase. I wasn’t sure which it was. It was neon green and her red hair was down and wavy. She was dressed to kill. I was a bit uncomfortable being next to her, as every guy in the radius of that dress was looking at her.

I had gone for a black number I wore once at a wedding a few years ago. It looked good on me, but didn’t bring the kind of attention a dress like Mandy’s brought.

“Hey, I’m going to have fun. We paid big bucks to get in here, and ... Oh, my ... shirtless and hot!” Mandy pointed to the bartenders. They were, in fact, shirtless, and all of them looked like Abercrombie and Fitch models.

Rick wrinkled his nose and pulled her chin up so she would look him in the eye. He gave her a reproving glance, but there was laughter behind his expression.

“For Sarah,” Mandy said. “They’re hot ... for Sarah.”

“Mmm, I see,” he said, and then pulled her out to the dance floor.

The club was set up really well, with four bars so that no matter where you were, you only had to walk a few feet to get a drink. In the center was a lowered dance floor and raised areas to dance on. If you were feeling brave, you could cut loose in front of everyone.

The place was upscale. Huge screens surrounded the dance floor and played the unedited versions of all the hottest music videos. People danced and laughed on the main floor, and the scene intimidated me at once.

I scanned the place for Hannah Williams, but didn’t see her anywhere.

When I looked around, all I could imagine were a hundred ways a girl could get in trouble.

What was wrong with me? This was supposed to be fun, and here I was imagining the worst that could happen.

Put me in a courtroom and I was good. But this ... this was not my natural habitat.

“What can I getcha?” I turned and looked into the darkest eyes I’d ever seen. He was tall, tan, and shirtless.

“Uh ...”

He smiled, and darn it if he didn’t have dimples. “Not sure we have that. How about a— ” He leaned toward me and I turned my ear to him. He cupped my face and whispered, “How about the Lover’s Kiss? Or maybe Ménage à Trois, if you’re feeling naughty.” I felt the heat rise up my neck.

“Get me a gin and tonic,” I said. I couldn’t handle hard liquor very well, and if there was anything I wanted at the moment, it was a clear head.

No, screw that. I needed some trouble. The good kind of trouble.

He turned to go, but I grabbed his arm. “Get me a Lover’s Kiss.” He raised his eyebrows. “Now,” I said.

He smiled and turned to get me my drink.

Mandy and Rick returned from the dance floor, faces flushed. “Got a boyfriend already?” she asked.

“Yeah, but I’ll have to pay his way through college. Ha. No, I don’t think I could go out with a guy who worked at a place like this.”

Mandy rolled her eyes and sipped her appletini. “You don’t have to marry him, Sarah. Just lighten up, have fun, and try to relax a little. Go ask one of those guys who are staring at you to dance.” She tipped back the rest of her drink. A new song came on. “Ooo,” she squealed. “It’s your favorite, Rick.”

“It hasn’t been my favorite for, like, five years,” he protested as she pulled him to the dance floor.

“Okay, okay.” I closed my eyes and sighed. I could do this—have fun, be fun, and relax. I’d bury the darkness deep inside me and play the happy ADA.

“Here you go. Let me know if you like it.” I opened my eyes, and the hottie bartender was there with that amazing smile again.

“Sure thing. Here goes nothing.” I picked up the glass and downed the pink drink. It tasted like cotton candy and was ... really yummy. I could take about two or three more of those.

A deep voice to my left rumbled through the music and sent a shiver down my arms and legs. “Can I buy you another?”