13) gone

"Mom," hazel says, walking in with a backpack full of books and papers.

"They want us to talk about our family; what is our family."

"Well, your family are the royals; your fathers are the kings of heaven and hell." I start telling them about their father's story and their past.

"But mommy, what about you," trey asks. I sigh.

"Your mom wasn't a known species when she grew up; she won't know much about that part of her," Dex says with the raccoons bringing music out.

"But she can dance," a little one says.

"You must be Shelly," I say to the baby on the jukebox that was just brought out.

"How did you," the little raccoon that spoke earlier says, looking at me than his sister.

"She's the human I grew up with," his mom says. I smile.

"Come on, kids, I want to show you something," I say. They smile and follow me to a three-story cliff.

"You wanted to see what humans did," I say and jump. They scream as I hit the water. I come up and feel a pull at my leg.

"Good, they won't get pulled," I say and fly back up.

"How did, But they" they kids stutter

"No human isn't immortal, and yes, this done wrong could kill you. But humans are stupid and will try anything." I say they laugh and go to the edge.

"Ok, to do this right, hazel, and trey," I say. They look at me.

" don't let your wings stop you angels hate falling. Just think about water and jumping to the bottom." I say they gulp. I laugh and walk to crystal and Marcus.

"Now you too have to do the opposite, since devils are fearless, think about the surface of the water, or you'll get pulled," I say. They nod and get in a line on the edge.

"One....two.....three..." they say and jump. The kids all go at the same pace as gravity speeds them up just before they go faster to hit the water treys wings grow, and he stops; crystal hits the water, followed by Marcus and hazel.

"Shit," I say as Marcus and hazel cone up for air.

"Trey pulls them out now," I say. He lifts them, and they hover the water as I jump, grow wings, and speed to the water as my wings disappear, and I dive into the lake and grab the crystal almost sucked through the caves. I fly out and land on the shore as the rest of the kids follow.

"Sorry, mommy/mom," trey and crystal say; I smile and lean down to them.

"It ok; you need to focus more. Now come on, we have a long way to go now."

"Why I thought this was where we were going," crystal says

"No, that cave you almost went in was the entrance to where we're going, but you have to be calm and let it take you. If you fight it, you'll get hurt," I say. Crystal looks back then to the angels,

"Come on, there's another way, but you have to do it the human way. No flying or teleportation." I say if they use their powers, who knows where they'll end up.

"Ok," they say and hide their wings.

"Now, with this first part, trust the angels and step lightly and calmly."

****
"Mommy, we have a field trip. To the giant royal springs." Hazel says, and my heart stops. This is where I die.

"That's great, Hunny," I say, trying not to freak out in all panic, run into my room, Under the bed, and never come out.