* T H I R T E E N *

©  Amber Kalkes 2015

Song------}

"Queen Bitch" By David Bowie

* T H I R T E E N *

“And who the hell are you?”

Her mate, or I guess Jack, sigh deeply from behind her, “Wren—“

“Don’t make me get the rolled up newspaper out, Jack.” She snaps, not taking her eyes off me. “So who are you?”

“Ruth.” I tell her hoarsely before clearing my throat, “Ruth Benson.”

She tilts her head and sniffs the air around me. I give her a weird look knowing that despite my admittedly spark note knowledge of werewolves, this is not the norm. Not exactly how I figured this whole meeting the Alpha would be going. Sure, Brandon mentioned she was a bit rough around the edges but…come on now. When she steps forward towards me I move back a little making her smirk.

“You scared of me, Ruth?” She asks.

“No.” I tell her honestly. “I’m just trying to figure out why the hell you’re smelling me.”

Wren stares blankly at me for a second before a huge smile spreads across her face. Moving her hazel eyes to Brandon she gives him an impressed look, “I like her.”

Brandon laughs it off but I can see the relief on his face. Obviously he was really worried about this first meeting but he didn’t need to be. Despite my initial fear of this woman whose reaction finding out she’s pregnant is destroy her own house, I find that slowly fading. In a way she reminds me of Nadine, a woman in control of her own destiny.

I can get along with someone like that.

“So why were you sniffing me?” I ask, still trying to figure that little oddity out.

She shrugs one shoulder, “You smell strange.”

I lift a brow, “Smell strange?”

“Under your normal smell and the very obvious scent of Brandon all over you, you smell like something else. Not human, at least not all the way. Something…different.”

“That’s because Ruth is a witch.” Brandon says with pride.

Wren’s eyebrows shoot up to her hairline, “A witch? I didn’t even know those even existed.”

“There aren’t a lot of us.” I admit with a shrug of one shoulder. “Most witches born with the gift either suppress it or don’t realize they have the gift. Harnessing that kind of power can be a bit…daunting.”

“Well as long as you don’t give me a poison apple we’re good.”

I hold back an eye roll and smile politely, “No today I’m afraid. I actually came because I have some things to discuss with you…privately.”

“Really?” She asks with a sly smirk sliding across her face. She looks over at Brandon and adds, “Is that the only reason?”

“That’s the only reason that concerns you.” I tell her honestly.

She narrows her eyes a bit at my tone before running her tongue over her teeth. Finally she sighs before waving for me to follow her. “Come on, we can discuss your issue in the office.”

“Wren, maybe I should come with.” Jack suggests.

She stops with one foot on the first step and gives him a look so dirty I feel like I need a shower, “You are still on my shit list, Jack McKay and I don’t even want you in the same space as me right now. So no you shouldn’t come with us.” Straightening her back a little she wipes all expression off her face, “Besides, Ruth said she wanted to speak privately. Now, gentlemen, if you’ll excuse us.”