* T H I R T Y- S I X *

© Amber Kalkes 2015

Song------}

"Purple Haze" By Jimi Hendrix

* T H I R T Y –S I X *

"How long have you known about the leaked information?" Jack demands as he starts to pace in front of Wren's chair.

He's been like this for the past ten minutes. Jack mutters to himself, paces and spews a few direct questions at her every now and then. As a result, Mary and I have been doing nothing but watching the scene. We've been told not to move by our respective mates and for once have decided to listen to them. So, this is what we have to watch as chaos reigns outside of this safe haven and it's not exactly the most comforting atmosphere.

I watch Wren as she shrugs in response to Jack's demand, "I don't know. Maybe about two days."

"Two days?" He explodes, "Two days and you didn't tell me? I am your mate!"

"And I am your Alpha," She snaps before settling back in her chair, "I had someone on it anyway and to be honest all of this is a bit premature. I thought I'd have more time."

"You thought wrong!"

"Where the hell is Erin when you need her?" She asks looking around the room, "Maybe she'd be able to get you to calm down."

"I'll calm down when you stop withholding information from me!"

She scowls at him, "Stop yelling at me or I'll Alpha order your ass out of here."

He pauses and I see his back tense, "You wouldn't do that...not to me."

Wren's mouth opens, about to respond when I feel pain squeeze around my abdomen. It's getting fainter for me but stronger for Wren. I can tell by the fact she can't even hide the contractions anymore. A few minutes ago she it was hard to tell what was or wasn't a contraction but now they're coming faster and harder.

Jack seems to notice it too and immediately drops to his knees in front of her again. He sets his hands on her swollen belly as Wren leans her head on the back of the chair. Sweat is coating her forehead and her breathing is becoming more labored. I don't know if werewolves have different ways of giving birth or not but it wouldn't be crazy to assume she's getting close.

"I'm sorry," Jack says hastily as he offers her his hands to hold, "I'm sorry."

"This isn't about you," She snaps but takes his hands all the same until the contraction dies down.

"Better?"

"No," Wren laughs breathlessly but relaxes a little into her seat, "I'm in labor, which is your fault so your apology is accepted."

Jack smiles at her a little, "Good, I thought you'd never forgive me."

"I'm a little jealous," Mary whispers to me and gets my attention, "They're fights last like five minutes."

I shrug while smiling at the now canoodling couple, "They resolve what they have to. It's a pretty straight approach, I have to admit."

"Or it could be because he's stressed and she's hormonal."

I laugh quietly, "Oh yes, that too. Are you and Kyle still stuck in your loved up stage or has the fighting already started."

Mary makes a face, "He won't fight with me. I tried but he just puts an end to it before it can start. I feel so boring."

"It's called being in an adult relationship. Not all of them are wrought with drama you know."

She gives me a flat look, "Obviously you don't watch enough TV."