* F I F T E E N *

©  Amber Kalkes 2015

Song----------}

"One Way Out" By The Allman Brothers Band

* F I F T E EN *

Hanging up the phone I run a hand through my hair before letting out a dejected sigh. Predictably, Nadine is pleased as punch to learn that I need her help. She of course acted surprised to get my call but knowing Nadine like we do, I think its fair to say we all known that’s bullshit. Sitting on the edge of Brandon’s bed I put the cellphone on the side table before laying back.

I keep my eyes closed but I can feel Brandon creeping closer to me. Despite knowing this I jump all the same when his hands wrap around my arms. I let out a little squeak as he pulls me across the bed and against his chest so my back is against it. His face is buried in my hair in seconds and his hands are under the fabric of my shirt no sooner than that. His fingers splay out against my stomach as we sit in silence.

“She sounded like she was already in the car.” I mumble, as I rest into him.

His chest bounces as he chuckles making my head jump, “That doesn’t surprise me.”

“Do you think Wren will forgive Jack? I mean it’s a baby not a monster.”

Brandon’s arms tighten around me, “She’ll forgive him. Mates have a hard time staying mad at each other.”

I roll my eyes while my tone turns dry, “I’ve noticed.”

“Wren’s life hasn’t be easy.” He continues, ignoring me. “She didn’t come from the most stable environment before she came across Jack. She’s had a lot to deal with over the past year as well and finally seems to have found her place. You can imagine how much it most throw her off to have such a big change coming.”

I process his words for a minute before turning my head to scowl at him, “How come you’re all understanding when it comes to other people but with me you’re just a pain in the ass?”

“Because with you I can be myself.” He whispers in my ear making me shiver. “I don’t have to be understanding or try to put myself in your shoes because I’m already there. I know you better than anyone.”

“Really? Then what’s my middle name?”

“Uh…”

“Well there goes that theory.” I smirk at him.

Brandon’s eyes narrow, “Marie.”

“Nope.”

“Anne?”

“Not even close.”

“Sunflower drew drop.”

I give him a weird look before laughing. Shaking my head, I continue to wait patiently for a right answer. I won’t tell him what it is without a few more guesses anyway. He look too cute with his eyebrows all furrowed and his mouth pressed in a thin line as he thinks really hard. After the fifth guess I start to worry that he may break a gear in his brain and relent.

“I’ll give you a hint. It’s a state.”

“Idaho?”

I blink at him before bursting into laughter. Looking up at his now red neck, cheeks and embarrassed expression I just end up laughing harder. Shaking my head I try to calm down and wipe the tears from my face. Getting a bit more of a grip on my hysterics I grin up at him.