* T W E N T Y-T W O *

©  Amber Kalkes 2015

Song----}

"Foxey Lady" By Jimi Hendrix

*Sexual Content*

*T W E N T Y-T W O *

Lying on Brandon’s bed in the darkened room I inhale the scent of the nearby burning incense. I need to find my center, my focus or my zen if you want to get fancy about it. I’m stressed, way too much to be safe around other people. Back in the kitchen I shattered my cup of tea.

Being too lost in thought while staring forlorningly into water not as majestic as I thought it would be.

Taking in a deep inhale of air I let out a steady exhale while keeping my eyes closed. I am free of bad energy. I am the image of tranquility. I am like a Buddhist monk. I am at my upmost calm. My stomach growls making me open an eye to look down at it. Apparently I am also hungry.

The bedroom door opens slowly and I lay back quickly before closing my eyes. I know its Brandon by his heavy footsteps but I’m going to pretend I don’t. I have no logical reason for doing this but I’m doing it all the same. Inhaling deeply again I peek open one eye as I exhale.

Slowly Brandon sits on the edge of the bed with his back to me. It’s a broad back, one that my hands are practically itching to run themselves over. His shirt is tight enough that I can see the muscles in his back ripple with every movement. It’s strangely hypnotizing.

“I’m sorry about Claire.” He says solemnly.

I lift an eyebrow but don’t say anything.

“She has it in her head that she’s meant to be a rank member of the pack. She was the Alpha’s daughter and technically my adopted sister, I guess. I never liked her but she seemed to harbor a crush for me. I’m sorry she was such a bitch to you.”

“Pun intended?” I ask on an exhaled breath.

He chuckles tiredly and turns his head to look at me over his shoulder, “Not intended but if it makes you laugh I’ll take it.”

“Who told you what?” I demand as I close my eyes again.

“Mary told me you weren’t feeling well and you were cooped up in here. Wren told me about the vision.”

“Of course she did.” I mutter, “Your Alpha sure doesn’t mince words does she?”

“It’s one of her better qualities.”

“Well they’re both right. I am cooped up in here and I did have a vision.”

The mattress sinks a bit as he moves closer to me, “What was in it? Anything that could help us?”

“Help?” I ask before inhaling again. Shaking my head I exhale as steadily as I can, still trying to keep myself calm, “Nothing I didn’t already figure was going to happen. I expected you to be an idiot and get yourself involved in a brawl where you would get injured. Nothing particularly shocking there, I must say.  Blood of course. Oh and Wren’s pregnancy bringing on the attacks. They want to strike when she’s most vulnerable.”

“Did you tell Wren this?”

I open my eyes to glare at him, “I may be a bit out of it these days but I’m not completely devoid of responsibility.”

He sighs heavily, sounding dejected, “You know that’s not what I meant.”

“Yeah.” I admit, closing my eyes again, “I do. I’m just on edge about this whole thing. It’s been one hell of a day.”