* T W E N T Y-E I G H T *

© Amber Kalkes 2015

Song---}

"In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida" By Iron Butterfly

T W E N T Y - E I G H T *

I wince as Mary holds up a pink flowery ensemble, tutu included, up before Wren. Wren looks like she's going to vomit and I have to agree with her on this one. I'm all for little girls looking like princesses if that toots their horns but this is just...too much.

"Hell no."

Marry drops her smile and scowls, "Why not?"

"Its...pink."

"Well duh, you're having a girl." Mary says with a roll of her brown eyes.

"Yeah a girl, not a bottle of Pepto-Bismol."

"But she'll look so cute!"

"Next," Wren commands with a wave of her hand.

When Mary holds up another outfit, this one more poufy but not pink I almost have to bite my tongue to stop myself from laughing. It just keeps getting worse. I peek over at Wren and she looks downright horrified.

"Dear god, no."

"But-"

Wren looks over at me, "Ruth, please tell me you found something or my kid is going to be running around naked for the first year of its life."

I smirk and move over to Mary and bump her out of the way with my hip, "I wouldn't be much of a protector if I didn't save your baby from a fashion crisis."

"Honestly does it even matter?" Wren sighs, looking a little stressed, "She's just going to puke and shit all over it."

"Well yeah but at least she'll look cute doing it," Mary chimes in with a grin.

Wren rolls her eyes, "Yeah, whatever. So?"

I grin widely as I pull out a real find. It's a tiny little leather jacket. Its not bedazzled or has a princess character on it. Nope, this is a just a tiny little leather jacket with matching baby motorcycle boots with a skull patterned sewn in front. I know I've done good as soon as Wren starts to go a little misty eyed. What can I say? I know her style.

"That's not fair!" Mary yells, "That's from the boy section!"

"So?" I ask pointedly.

"But..." She trails before scowling at me, "Cheater."

I tell her before sticking my tongue out at her and grin, "I still win."

"Its perfect." Wren says quietly, getting both of our attentions, "Its just so perfect."

I give her a small smile and chuck the clothes in the cart before comforting her. I know she doesn't like to be clung to so I just put my hands on her shoulders as she quickly wipes away tears. Her outburst embarrasses her, obviously but I think it's a good thing. She bottles things up too much. Her aura is just the image of suppression and self-control.

"I'm fine." She sniffs and wipes her cheeks before scowling, "Real women only cry in the shower or the rain."

"She says as she cries in the baby girl section." Mary murmurs.

I scowl at her but Wren laughs and shrugs, "I'll put it on my list of weird pregnancy things that happen. Do we have everything?"

"Anything we don't we can just order online." I assure.

"Great, anything else in this god forsaken hell hole we need before we get out of here?"

"Nope."