Chapter 30

Chapter 30

Third Person

When the sun broke through the night's daze, the Taylors family was up and out of the house before the clock even struck eight o'clock. They had an appointment with her mother's lawyer. Her mom was beyond serious about suing both the school and the girls who harassed Adrian. Slutty Sloan and the others. At least that's what Elliot had called her. As inappropriate and mean as Adrian guessed it was, it still brought the faintest smile to her always chapped lips. Because Elliot Wilds stood up for her. Though it was one of the most horrid days of her life, he still managed to make it better in his own inexplicable way.

Adrian didn't want to go to the lawyer's office. She didn't want to talk about what those girls did to her. She wished her mom wouldn't make such a big deal out of it. She just wanted to forget it even happened. But when she brought it up to her parents, her parents simply told her that nobody would ever hurt her and get away with it, period. Nothing she said would change their minds, so she sat frowning in the back seat humming to the radio as she peered out the window to pass the time. Her parents talked in the front seat but Adrian didn't bother listening to their conversation, knowing they were talking about her and the school.

It didn't take long for her to begin pondering about the boy she was already missing. The forbidden boy. The boy who was mad at her. She wondered if he was still mad or if he had forgiven her. She hoped he had forgiven her. She wished to see him again but now that she wasn't attending school she didn't know when exactly that would be. It put a dent in her already dampened mood knowing it could be a while before she saw Elliot Wilds again. When would she even see her friends again? That was the only downside of not attending school; she was isolated from the only social life she ever had.

A small huff falls past her lips as she folds her arms over her chest watching the town buildings and shops pass by. She was really dreading seeing this lawyer but it was her fault for telling her parents in the first place. She hoped she wouldn't be asked many questions, being put on the spot was something Adrian despised. Especially when she didn't even want to discuss the topic to begin with. Telling her parents was one thing but telling a lawyer who is also a complete stranger was another.

Adrian's dad slowed their silver Volkswagen Passat as they came up to a big grey building at least six stories high with multiple windows lining each floor level. A moment later they were turning into the packed lot, searching for an empty spot to park. Adrian took in the view, noticing the nicely mowed grass in straight rows of green, the clean double-wide sidewalk leading up to clear revolving doors under a curved awning, and the near pristineness of just all of it. From what she could see this place wasn't just some cheap office, it was the real deal. Her mom wasn't playing around; she wanted what happened to Adrian to be taken seriously.

When her dad turned off the engine, Adrian sank a bit deeper into the tan leather seats. She did not want to go into this place. Though she knew she was only going in there so the lawyer could build a case against the school and the girls who harassed her, she thought about the fire and what a lawyer could do to her if they knew she helped commit arson. It made her stomach drop as if she was flying down the climax of a roller coaster. It's not even that she felt guilty; she just didn't want Elliot or her to get caught. Not that they would, but the fear still lingered in specks and grains littered within her from her cranium to her heels.

As her parents opened their doors, Adrain kept planted in her seat grasping the curve of it as if, if she held on tight enough maybe then she wouldn't have to get out, or better yet maybe her parents would change their minds. Unfortunately, her luck was fair and fickle as her dad pulled open her door and glanced down at her. "Come on princess, let's go on inside." He crooned as Adrian took her sweet time unbuckling her seat belt and sliding out the door. She was stalling and she would continue until she couldn't any longer. It didn't matter how much she stalled because, in the end, she would still have to meet and talk to her mom's lawyer.