Chapter 3

Chapter 3

Third Person

As the other's lips snapped shut, Adrian's slightly parted open for many different reasons.

One being she had hoped that the attention would be off of her and Elliot had made that so, which strangely in his rude way she appreciated it. Another being, this wasn't the first time he did it. He did it earlier when Payton was asking too many questions that Adrian didn't want to answer.

In a way, he had helped her. He drew the attention to himself.

But on the other hand, the mood of the table shifted. Elliot's input wasn't expected by anyone, that was obvious in the way the tables vibe went from excited to quiet.

Adrian nibbled her bottom lip, she didn't like this tension and she didn't like how this Elliot boy was so rude to everyone, including his so-called friends. He was a real moody boy, an attitude different than most.

Adrian thought friends were supposed to be nice to each other not mean.

Finally, someone decides to speak, the copper-haired boy. "Oh, well that explains it." He says. "I haven't met anyone who's been homeschooled before, so you're the first and definitely the cutest." Red ends with a wink.

Adrian forced a small smile on her face. This boy was much different from the broody boy at the end of the table, Red seemed more upbeat. Red was definitely an attractive guy, every boy at this table was. He and his sister Phoenix had that in common.

Though he was attractive his muscular stature still seemed to intimidate Adrian. Even though he was nice and playful, he was still much bigger than Adrian, all these boys were. Elliot the tallest, but Easton and Red right behind him.

This was the thing about boys, they didn't seem soft and sweet like girls. They were a little rougher around the edges. Their voices weren't smooth and soft, they were deep and scary.

The only guy who didn't intimidate Adrian was her father. He was tall and strong like these boys, tough with others. But with her, her father was gentle and kind. He made her feel protected.

"Leave her alone Red, can't you see how shy she is, you're making her uncomfortable." Phoenix scolds her brother.

Red frowns. "I didn't mean to." He mutters.

"How were we supposed to know she is shy, we just met her in our defense," Easton adds, leaning in trying to make a point.

On the far end of the table, Elliot Wilds's hands clench into tight painful-looking fists. Everyone seems to notice this boy's sudden anger, it hits you in invisible waves.

Adrian's hands began to tremble, she started this argument. Payton reaches over gently resting her hand on top of Adrian's, a comforting gesture. Before Elliot can go off again, Payton steps in, "Isn't it obvious." She hisses defending her new friend. "Now shut up about it, it's done and over with."

Kiera stands up brushing off her skirt. "Well I'm going to go get lunch, the line has shortened." She states.

"Count me in." Red and Phoenix chime at the same time. Adrian watches them with minuscule admiration. The siblings were much alike.

Easton a beat behind says, "Me too." Before he begins to walk away he glances at Payton, Adrian, and Elliot. "You guys coming?"

Payton glances at Adrian. "Want to go get food?" She asks.

Adrian shakes her head. "I'm okay." She murmurs softly.

Payton frowns. She didn't want to leave this girl alone at their table with Elliot. He never gets lunch and God knows what he'll say to this girl. Elliot wasn't the gentle type, everyone knew that.