chapter 24//

A/N

just if you think george is being harsh he is 19, he has never experienced anything like this before i think its a more realistic approach considering his character - an inability to initiate conflict with the people he loves, he would rather just avoid it

guys please this chapter feels like eating mouldy cheese but its like necessary mouldy cheese and a very long piece of mouldy cheese

Leige snapped the last book shut, collapsing onto the hard, wooden floor that had once been scrubbed clean enough for him to see his reflection, now littered with dust.

Besides him, Angelica was equally as knocked out, way past the stage of putting a false front to make herself seem more likeable to what would probably be one of her only friends this whole year. 

The sun was rising from the other side of the library, meaning that their little corner was dark and gloomy in the face of the early morning, giving Leige negative points of motivation to get back up again.

The last candle of the night had long melted away, leaving only a puddle of hard wax on the brass candlestick, with a drop of now hardened wax looking as though it had frozen in time.

He snapped off the piece of wax, fiddling with it mindlessly, going back over the information he had now stored safely in his brain.

After they had finished making the life-sized catalogue, Leige had chosen the books he found relevant - books of lectures, essay books, textbooks and the like, sorting them to the side as Angelica refused to leave but also didn't volunteer any particular help, simply lying down and giving Leige silent company as she played with lit candles.

So Leige and Angelica had spent the whole night in the library, with Angelica doing whatever she did, and with Leige carefully reading through all of the books he had selected.

In the end, he had gathered some vital information, and knew that he and Angelica's stay had been worthwhile.

In fact, Angelica had helped him quite a lot, although she most likely didn't know, giving him simple explanations of basic magic, religion and beliefs that existed in this world without asking why he didn't already know these things - most likely because she was either too sleepy or just didn't care.

Therefore, he know had a structure on which he could work on. 

In this world, there was little to no belief in a higher power, such as a God. This, of course, was to be expected, considering they could be said to have already developed past the need for such a thing.

After all, he personally believed that there was no such thing as a God, and while he had nothing against people who were religious, to him, God was nothing more than fiction dreamt up by the inadequate who wanted to abnegate all worries and responsibility onto an imaginary friend.

Here, where there was already an overarching hierarchy based on ranks of magic, why would there need to be a higher power they all looked up to? 

Although a lot of magic in games and such on Earth had been reliant on a higher power to grant them such powers, such as healing, a power closely linked to angels and a God, or curses which called upon evil higher powers to do what humans could not, Leige was already certain in his theory that the magic in this world was internal and was closely linked to the structure of the body, not in faith or belief in something else.

However, this had contradicted the term that had been bothering him - magic from the Orcus, clearly calling upon something seen as a higher power.