Ark 2 - two down

Zhou Feng staggered through the hallways of the military base, looking for the staircase that would lead her to the basement. The path was well lit and helped her find her way through the maze of corridors. Only  today, she would rather walk in the dark than see the horrified faces of the soldier as they hurried past her. It made her damn angry that those guys would look at her like she was a plague, but the female lead could not really fault them.

She had dark circles underneath her eyes from lack of sleep, her skin was a pale white, almost transparent colour, her hair looked rough and brittle and the uniform hung too loose on her thin frame . All in all, she looked more like a hanged ghost than a human at the moment.

Zhou Feng gnashed her teeth in irritation as another soldier scurried passed her. The guy didn't even try to mask his contempt when he brushed by. It was as if everyone in this base was after her. Even those, that were boot licking her before, avoided her now.

Luckily, it didn't take that much longer to reach the stair case and once the basement was reached, the female let her body relax. It was dark and quiet down here and there were only two guards at the door that didn't pay her much attention. After what she went through the last few days, this place felt like heaven right now.

Without further ado, Zhou Feng made her way through the darkness lying before her, until she heard a rough voice call out.

"Zhou Feng..... Zhou Feng...... Over here."

The Female Lead stopped for a second to pinpoint the location of the sound. Then she turned her whole body around to strut confidently in the direction of the voice's origin. Her fist were angrily clenched at her side and her eyes were sprouting fire as she moved closer to the small cell at the back of the basement.

"Wu Kang."

"Zhou Feng. Sweetheart. Are you here to get me out? Please, hurry it up. I can't stay here any longer. You should have seen how they looked at me. Like I was a traitor, but I'm not. Right? I'm not."

A desperate look passed over Wu Kang's face as he reached out his hand to grab at the female's clothes. The guy looked quite roughed up as well with his bruised face and split lip, but Zhou Feng only indifferently battered away the approaching hand.

"WU KANG. Don't you dare touch me with your filthy hands. I will not save you anymore, you are on your own now. You failed me and I do not care for failures. You can go through hell here for all I care. Then you will at least know, what I am going through. Not sleeping, because everytime I close my eyes I see those faces, DEAD FACES. Above all Zhou An's face. And everywhere I look there he is. I eat in the canteen and look up and there he sits, ZHOU AN. I train my sword and look at my sparing partner and suddenly Zhou An's eyes look back at me. You damn bastard brought me into this situation. You couldn't even do one thing right."

Wu Kang shrunk back from the bars with a hurt look in his eyes, but caught himself again a few seconds later and carefully moved himself closer to his angry girlfriend. He warily eyed the distressed woman before him and calmly tried to placate her.

"Zhou Feng. I'm sorry. I did not mean to fail. If Yang Quan....."

"YANG QUAN. GOD YANG QUAN. THAT DAMN WRETCH. THIS IS ALL BECAUSE OF HIM. If he didn't exist, then I would be lieutnant already. I would have the whole damn base wraped around my finger. They would be crawling all over each other to serve me. YES. It is all that Yang Quan's fault. It is all him. I will make him pay, I will kill that bastard."

A maniac laughter bubbled up from the Female Lead's throat and in a flair of drama, she trwirled around herself a few times with a big smile on her face. Wu Kang could almost not recognize the crazy woman in front of him anymore.