✄10

- united states of america

- (y/n)'s home, 5:55 AM

You lazily hopped on one leg, (as you denied crutches) towards your family, who sat near the dining table, quietly munching on their breakfast. You simply ignored their presence and went into the kitchen to grab a plate. Your mother perked her head at the sound of your faint hopping footsteps, "Is that you, honey?" You tensed at the calm tone but soon relaxed, fixing your plate with food.

"Yes mother." You said through a whisper, plopping a tiny pancake on your plate. She hummed, and her eyes scanned the kitchen to find you. Having slight trouble, she nodded and continued to eat.

"Are you sure it's you? I mean, we barely see you nowadays!" Your father joked heartily, earning a snort from your mother. You sarcastically laughed, grabbing a bottle of water from the pantry.

"You are...um, very, right? Uh, fun father." Your pronunciation on words was awful. But they ignored how you said them and tried to have a conversation with you.

"You'll soon learn it wasn't your fault. It's just a coping mechanism," Your mother spoke. You huffed and sat down far away from your parents.

"If you in...vited me to talk about...I, no, my...my past mis, My past? I don't...want to hear it." You slowly spoke, trying to clear your words to them.

"It wasn't a mistake ho-"

"Father. I said...I,, I don't, I, fuck off!" You raised your voice at him, spying the now empty voids on their faces. Their smiles you saw when they heard you come in vanished. More guilty rocks towered your shoulders, and you lowered your gaze and began to eat.

"I'm, uh, I'm sor...sorry?"

Your father cleared his throat, standing from his seat as his hand kept aiming for his wooden crane beside him, "It's quite alright...I'll be taking my leave." And his hand caught his crane, and he carefully walked with the stick in front of him into the kitchen to grab more food.

Your mother sighed at the now tensed silence, and she tapped her hands in a rhythmic pattern you remembered. You glanced at her in puzzlement, and her small smile appeared.

"Honey, we didn't invite you to make you feel awful about yourself...we wanted to hear how our child is doing, and you're getting worse," She paused to think, "Your pronunciation is getting, ehhh, icky, and we want to help you. Please stop punishing yourself. Let your speech teacher help you, and we will encourage you."

You gulped and clenched your fists. She was right. You couldn't deny it. Your speech was awful. The words you pronounced sounded horrible, and you hated it. But after everything you did, you believed this punishment was deserved for you.

"Yes."

"You'll do it for us, right? And you? Especially you?"

"Mmm, yes." And your mother beamed you a smile. You frowned and continued to eat. As time moved on, you were alone at the dinner table. Something you wanted to happen. You wanted to gather your thoughts and forget about everyone and run away. Nevertheless, you didn't need help. All you wanted to be was safe from this never-ending fear.

☞ fun fact 011: sea otters hold hands when they sleep to keep from drifting apart :)

- speech education building

- 10:45 AM

"What does this say (Y/n)?" Your teacher pointed to a card that wrote, 'want,' "I heard your parents said you're having trouble remembering basic words." You stared at the word card dumbfounded. You opened your mouth but then closed it as the word didn't seem to come.