Chapter Twelve

Eventually, we stop staring at each other and just watch the rest of the sunset, while eating tacos and drinking Dr. Pepper. I don't regret saying yes to this date. I mean yeah I was nervous but I had every right to be. There's more to my nerves than just being worried about how this will affect Knox and Kohl though.

After Cage and my amazing night together back in July. The next day when I woke up in the motel we booked in Bryce, he was gone.

So my real fear here is that he's just going to disappear one of these days.

It will hurt me yeah but not much.

Not like it did before.

The only ones it will hurt now a lot are the twins if their Dad just disappears one day.

"You okay? You just got kind of quiet." Cage asks me and pulls me out of my wandering thoughts.

I sigh and debate on if I should say what's on my mind or keep it to myself.

"Yeah, I'm fine."

I'm not going to ask him now, maybe someday I will but for now, I just want to enjoy the moment. Enjoy this time we have with it being just the two of us.

We sit out by the pond long after the sun has set. The only light coming from the camping lamps that Cage brought with us. We don't talk about anything serious just about Knox and Kohl and what our favorite things are. I learned that Cage can not stand cats. Apparently, every single cat he has come into contact with has scratched him. He also thinks mushrooms are very disgusting. He hates them so much just the thought of eating one makes him want to puke.

I called him dramatic after he said that, he didn't like that at all. He ended up tickling me until I finally gave in and told him I take it back.

Though we both know I don't really.

We stay out by that pond until it gets too cold to stay. Today wasn't a really cool day and we were bundled up in coats so it was fine. Thought the air is starting to have a cold bite to it, a sign that any decent days will disappear as December approaches.

I walk beside Cage as we walk back to the house. We're both silent until Cage decides to break it.

"Do you want a tour of the house?" Cage asks me. "Unless you need to get back home now."

I grab my phone out of my coat pocket, checking the time before answering him.

8:36 p.m.

I told Noah I would for sure come to pick the boys up by 9:30. Even though I know he wouldn't mind watching them for longer, since he's always saying I should go out and have some fun. It is however a school night for Knox and Kohl. They should be asleep by now and I just don't want it to be too late when I go to get them cause who knows if they'll go back to sleep right away. I hope they will.

"I can't stay for a tour. I told Noah I would be back to pick up the twins around 9:30," I say putting my phone back in my coat pocket.

"Okay, some other time then?"

"I would like that."

He seems disappointed but understanding. I would like to stay for a little bit longer but I don't think I should right now. If it was a weekend I would stay since the boys wouldn't have school the next. Knox and Kohl get really grumpy if they don't get enough sleep. If they're grumpy then they are easy to piss off and if they get pissed off, there's a chance of a repeat of their fight.

Plus with my luck, it would more than likely be with Lauryn's son again.

I do not want to deal with her again anytime soon.