Chapter 21

Olivia's POV:

I kissed Cleo Roberts.

That was the only thing I could think in the darkened living room, on the aging sofa. My mind spun like a carousel. I kissed Cleo Roberts. I kissed Cleo Roberts. I kissed Cleo Roberts.

"I kissed Cleo Roberts, " I whispered to myself.

"Uh, yeah," Cleo grinned behind me. "I kissed Olivia Hansen."

I looked back at her, taking the mug of tea from her hands. "Sorry, I'm just-"

"Talking to yourself?"

"Maybe."

"Hm," she smiled. "Maybe you're going insane."

"Maybe," I repeated.

She laughed under her breath and hopped over the back of the couch, landing beside me on her knees. "So, " she said, now facing me. "I hate to be... That person but I'm just trying to make sure... You and River?"

"Done, " I told her. "We were never really... Together, anyway. It was kinda a distraction."

Cleo nodded and fumbled with the end of her shirt.

"I'm sorry, " she said after a beat. "I know that you've forgiven me for everything I did but... I'm sorry."

I took in a lingering breath, nodding a bit. "I've made a few mistakes, too. I know you feel responsible for every single bad part about us but... There were definitely times where I could've acted in a better way. So, yeah. I'm sorry too."

Cleo smiled and pressed her forehead to mine.

"I missed you, " she whispered.

I could feel my heart speeding up as I beat my eyes to her lips.

"I missed you too."

Hesitantly, I moved closer, our lips a few centimeters from connecting. Cleo's eyes fluttered closed as she leaned in too. I took in a breath before hearing the sound of her door opening. Quickly, I flew to the other side of the couch.

"Bug, I'm home," a man said as he stepped in.

Cleo's face got red and I couldn't tell if it was because he almost saw us kiss or because he called her a nickname in front of me.

"Oh, hey! Who's this?"

I cleared any anxiousness from my throat and looked back at him. "I'm Olivia- Cleo's tutor."

He smiled at me, stepping out of the doorway and closing it behind him. The cold wind from outside stopped as I got a good look at him. He was an exact clone of Cleo. Dark brown hair, icy blue eyes. He was on the taller side and dressed in some sort of technician's uniform. Spots of grease dotted his clothing and body, one spot of black on his cheek and another on his forehead.

"I'm Will, Cleo's brother. She didn't tell me company was coming over. I'm sorry about the mess," he said as he placed the toolbox he was carrying next to the door. "A little late for a tutoring session, huh?"

"She's just hanging out."

"Yeah, well, I saw her car in the driveway and I thought you might have a guy over," his eyes flicked toward me as he grinned. "I had to make sure my baby sister wasn't getting pregnant."

I snickered and looked at Cleo who was hiding her face with embarrassment.

"Anyway, " he said. "It was nice meeting you, Olivia. Are you staying the night?"

"Oh uh..." I mumbled, looking towards Cleo.

"I have a shift tomorrow so it might be difficult," she said to me.

"Yeah, no worries."

Cleo nodded before looking at Will. "Aren't you tired from work? You should go take a shower. Away from us."

He laughed and walked past the sofa, messing with Cleo's hair before departing down the hallway.

"Sorry," she mumbled.

"It's alright, " I said. "Bug."

The girl groaned in embarrassment as she reached for a pillow to cover he face with. I laughed and pulled it away from her.

"But really, it's getting late," I said while clicking my phone on and reading the time. 11:13. "I don't wanna go but-"

"Your mom, " she finished for me.

I chuckled. "Right."

"I can walk you to your car, " she offered.

"You're cute. It's freezing out, just walk me to the door."

She nodded and stood up, outstretching a hand for me. I took Cleo's hand into mine, letting her pull me to stand next to her. The walk to the door was too quick. I wanted to stay with Cleo and talk about us. Us. There was an us now. I couldn't help smiling to myself before Cleo opened the door for me.

"Okay, uh, I'll see you at school?"

"No," I said. "I mean- Yes, you're gonna see me at school. But we should see each other before the break ends... Right?"

Cleo smiled and nodded. "Definitely."

"Cool, " I said.

Cleo looped her fingers through the belt loops on my jeans and tugged me closer, our lips connecting for the second time today. As quick as the goodbye kiss might have been, it left me feeling even lighter.

"Get home safe, " Cleo said as she shut the door.

And there I stood, on Cleo Roberts freezing porch, smiling like an idiot.

*  *  *

I couldn't sleep that night, this time not because of anxiety. My eyes stayed open as thoughts of Cleo entertained me. How pretty she looked even in her work uniform, her hair messy and her eyes puffy with fatigue. But, amidst the daydreaming, one question in particular loomed over me. What were we now?

I knew that Cleo wouldn't want to have the whole school to know about us. I wasn't so eager about that idea either. But dating in secret could be nice if done correctly. We would both have to be aware of the rules and follow those guidelines completely which was good because I loved rules. That was if Cleo even wanted to date me, like, officially. Still, something about secretly being with her excited me.

A/N:

Hello! I've made little character aesthetic boards for Olivia and Cleo! Take a look :)