Chapter 35

Olivia's POV:

My mom was asking me how my day was, and I was hoping to god that she couldn't tell how upset I was. If there was one thing my mom could do well, it was seek out the truth.

"Olivia," she said. I glanced over at her. "I asked if you talked to Mr. Gonzales? About that government grade?"

"Um," I said. I'd forgotten. Of course I'd forgotten. "I didn't get around to it. I will tomorrow."

Mom was quiet for a beat, which meant she was angry. I braced myself for a lecture. "You're going to fail," she said.

"It's only a B."

"It's a B, Olivia. Is Princeton going to accept a B?"

"...No. But-"

"Exactly. The six weeks ends in 5 days. What're you going to do about it?"

"I'll... I'll talk to Mr. Gonzales tomorrow. I can fix it."

Mom's eyes flickered between me and the road before she nodded. "Alright. But, if it's a B by the weekend-"

"I know," I said, just over a whisper. I did know. I'd be in deep shit.

There was a long silence before mom cleared her throat. "Where's Cleo today?"

I looked out the window. "Sick."

"Hm."

"Yeah."

"Well, good," she nodded. "I mean really, Olivia. You should steer clear of that girl. The fact that she needs tutoring speaks for itself."

"I know, mom."

"Of course, I wouldn't have an issue if you were just her tutor, but you inviting her on the family ski trip? It's just," she paused, shrugging to herself. "I don't want the two of you being friends."

"We aren't," I said. It wasn't a lie, necessarily.

As soon as we pulled up to the house, I tugged my backpack on and hurried out of the car.

"Olivia!" Mom called after me, rolling down the window. I pinched my eyes closed and turned to face her.

"Yes?"

Her eyes passed over me briefly, and I got this feeling in my stomach that she knew something was wrong, but then she smiled. "Don't forget about your academic decathlon this weekend. Study up."

"Yes ma'am," I said

"I'm gone, then. Allison will be here all day though," mom said. "She's grounded, so don't let her leave the house."

"Alright."

A moment passed where there was just wind between us, and I turned to start up the pathway to my front door.

Ally was in the living room, sprawled across the sofa, Nintendo Switch in hand.

"'Sup, Ollie," she said, not looking up.

"You're grounded?"

"Yep."

"What happened?"

"Snuck out."

"Why?"

She finally looked up at me and gave me a small smile. "I was bored."

I glanced back at the front door before huffing out a breath and meeting her eyes. "Wanna do something?"

"Like...?"

"Like go somewhere?" I said. "Could you drive me to Cleo's? I wanna see her."

"You wanna see her?"

"Mhm. I won't tell mom. We can, like, get food afterward."

Ally set her switch aside and sat up, crisscrossed to study me. "You're being weird."

"No, I'm not."

"You want to disobey your mother?"

And I just crossed my arms in response. "Don't you?"

Ally drove fast, windows down, music loud. I hated it, but I tried not to show it. It was a short trip to Cleo's.

"Want me to go with you?" she asked, squinting up at the house.

"No, no," I said. "Uh, actually... Could you lap the car around?"

"Sorry?"

I looked at her. "Please?"

And, Ally just nodded, like she understood. I walked up to her front door and knocked three times.

She didn't answer, and my mind started running. What if something happened? What if Andrew did something to her? What is she couldn't handle the embarrassment of everyone knowing and ran away?

When she finally did open the door, she was still in her school uniform. It had to have been five hours since she left the school building. She looked tired, red-eyed and gloomy.

"Hi," I said. "I probably should've called. I just... Wanted to see you."

She blinked, then pulled me into a hug. I wasn't sure what that meant- if she was trying to comfort me or if it was the other way around. But it didn't matter, because I could feel her nerves shake out as soon as I held her.

"I'm sorry," she whispered. Her voice sounded like she'd been crying. I pulled away.

"You have nothing to apologize for."

"I lost my temper. I don't... I don't know why I did that. It was so stupid."

"None of that matters, Cleo," I said, really looking at her. "Are you okay?"

"I'm okay." She was searching my face for something, her hands on my shoulders. "Are you?"

I didn't really know what to tell her. My best friend since childhood posted a video outing me to the school. The student council race was practically over at this point. I had never in my life felt so completely alone.

I liked neat, something easy to stomach, but this entire situation was out of my control. I could feel myself slipping away. I wasn't all there.

I shook that away and smiled. "Of course I am."

Allison pulled up a minute later, and I had to say goodbye.

"Is she good?" Ally asked me when I clicked my seatbelt on.

"Yeah," I said. "She's sick, so..."

"Okay," she replied, but her voice rose like she was suspicious. Or maybe I was paranoid. "So, food?"

I wasn't hungry. I knew I wouldn't eat at whatever diner we went to. But, I'd been feeling like a bad sister lately, so I nodded to her.

"Yes. Food."

She pressed on the gas and Cleo's house disappeared into nothingness.