Chapter Two

The main band, ever so unknown, was called Living In Fiction. Also featured that night were a few local bands that weren't so bad. As soon as I texted the guys that we arrived, some business came up backstage that they needed to attend to. So we waited at the bar and listened to two songs by a local band before a gentle tap on the shoulder made my heart freeze.

Nelly had to hold my drink stable because it trembled in my hand.

Well, I had to turn around at some point.

So I did. And was blown away by the pair that stood behind the bar smirking at me. They weren't incredibly tall, which I didn't mind being five foot four myself. They likely stood four to six inches above me. Then again, I'm seated on a high bar stool so there's a chance I'll stand and they'll be even taller.

The biggest difference between them was their hair, and I expected that from half-brothers. One had silky, slicked back obsidian hair with a buzz cut on the sides. And the other; brown hair that was well kept in a man-bun even though I could tell he woke up with it in a wavy mess.

Why was I thinking of them in bed? Damn, my brain moved fast.

"Mia?" Mister Undercut questioned, but then he laughed to himself and the sound sent a shiver through to my core, "Sorry, I know it's you. I was just trying to be polite. Nico Carson." He raised a hand over the counter and I extended mine to meet his firm grip.

"And Cole Renley." Man-bun did the same as his brother, extending his hand for me to shake. Except he held my hand longer and tightened his hold on me. Even though the bar area was lit by purple, hazy lights, I still couldn't see the eye colors of the two. And I really wanted to.

Now, that's creepy.

Nelly was quick to catch on that there were two of them but took a look at Cole's lingering hold on my hand as a sign that Nico was fair game. The only saving grace of this evening is that Nelly has to leave early for an overnight shift at the retail clothing store she worked at, something about inventory, and she thought I'd be going home at the same time.

The boys were aware of the plan and we settled with letting her think that Cole was my person of interest tonight. It took some light casual conversation before the boys joined us on our side of the bar, taking a seat on the stools on opposite sides of Nelly and myself. She poured her attention into Nico while I gave him a sympathetic look.

Something pulled on my heartstrings... Jealousy? I should be happy that the awkward affair might end tonight before it even began if Nico did like Nelly. But I couldn't help wanting him all for myself. And what if the two traveled like a packaged deal and both grew fond of my friend?

I put my drink down before it was finished and Cole caught the motion.

"Let's go dance, the line-up of the next few songs is my favorite of the night." Cole shifted off the stool and opened his palm for me to grab. I daringly accepted.

Me? Dance? While slightly buzzed?

Nelly giggled and took ahold of Nico's hand before he even offered it. If he was going to offer it. As we made our way to the front of the stage, people of all sorts were nodding their hellos to the brothers and women were becoming flirtatious. Even a few guys were licking their lips as they eyed the two.

Suddenly, I felt too insecure.

Between my best friend and all these strangers, someone, anyone, would be better looking than me and would willingly accept their offer. I still didn't know what they were offering, though.

I pulled away from Cole's hands just as they were about to go for my waist. "I'll be right back."

Nico and Cole took a glance at each other and that was the last thing I saw before I turned around to head towards the restroom. I knew right where it was due to the people crowding around it. Except I didn't need the restroom for its purpose.