Chapter Seventeen

My eyes peeled open when first light shone through the windows. My head lifted slightly to let out a yawn and I couldn't imagine, after a full night of sleep, how my body could possibly want to go back to bed. Yet here I found myself, snuggled between two warm bodies, and I didn't want to move an inch.

More like couldn't since each had their arms wrapped securely around me- One at my upper body and the other at my waist.

Out of the pair, Nico woke up first. He let out a yawn much like mine before realizing I was looking at him. Instead of disrupting the peace, we let Cole snooze on and just stared at each other.

His hand gripped mine on the pillow. It's so typical to say that sparks ignited my every nerve; but it happened. The electricity from our touch traveled up my arm and put my heart to ease. By the way he shivered I knew he felt it too. There were no feelings of regret from last night nor any tension. Everything was perfect...

My phone buzzed on the nightstand and began sliding from the vibrations. Cole let out a noise of disgruntlement in his sleep and turned over, giving me the opportune moment to reach over him and snatch it before the annoying sound continued.

"It's an unknown number," I whispered to Nico.

I tilted the phone his way and he pondered, "It could be someone from the office. We haven't gotten around to adding those contacts but we can today. Answer it, it looks familiar."

I pressed the green button and answered with a cautious, "Hello?"

"Hey." A man's voice that did sound vaguely familiar was on the other end but I couldn't put a finger on it. "Long time, no see. How goes it?"

That's when the gruff tone with a heavy city accent hit me, "Graham!"

Nico shot me a pointed look and then narrowed his eyes on his sleeping brother, reminding me to keep my voice down. I mouthed 'Sorry' and carefully climbed from the bed to slip into the bathroom.

Once inside I still kept my voice low, "Honestly, I couldn't be happier. And where have you been?"

"Back in the city! Where else? My life is here. I miss you and my baby sister though. Nells isn't picking up her phone or texting, is she with you by any chance?"

"No... She's been busy though. Keep trying her cell." The way I danced around telling him the truth was smooth on my part but it didn't get past him. He's been around us since childhood; always trying to hang out with Nelly and I. Being her older brother, we let him hang out sometimes because he was down to earth and outrageously funny. 

Plus he never 'tattled' on us if we did something bad.

"Been busy? Seriously, Mia? Just tell me what happened this time and I'll be the mediator between your chick fight. No one can get to my sister better than I can, so I'll have everything fixed in no time."

"Try reaching her first," I mumbled. Then my walls broke down and I confessed, "She started sleeping with a guy who's not good for her and she knows it! On top of that, she's blowing me off and choosing him over me. Who does that?"

Graham chuckled, "Nelly does. That's who."

"Exactly!" I ground my teeth in frustration which only caused him to laugh more.

"Guess I have to come in person to sort this out. Expect me by tomorrow afternoon. Pick me up at the airport. I'll text you the details."

Was he crazy?! All for this?!

In a panic I tried to reverse the damage, "Oh no, that's not—"

"I was coming anyways! Calm down." He let out an obnoxious, belly rolling laugh and I couldn't help but join in the contagious laughter. That's when Nico popped into the bathroom and tapped the imaginary watch on his wrist.