Chapter Nine

"Let's go to a concert tonight." Nelly suggested with a wiggle in her tone.

I knew exactly what she meant. "You're fucking nuts if you think I'm going there. How did they know where we were tonight? They're probably tracking me! That's barbaric, we'll just continue the party of two at my place."

"Noo, don't cage me up!" She pouted. "Think of how fun it will be if we go. Those boys are probably still picking their dicks up off the road from the way you flaunted your stuff. Flaunt it more! I like this feisty side."

Pause. Hesitate. Pretend like you don't want to... "Fine."

"Sweet deal! It's some EDM group tonight, something like a mix of electronic and hip hop, according to my friend."

Oh, how lovely, everybody would be grinding.

It got confirmed, just some twenty minutes or so later when we arrived at Devil's, that everyone was doing precisely what I predicted.

The atmosphere was thick with testosterone and estrogen, all thanks to the band pumping out rhythmic music that all sounded the same to me. It was the pheromones that had Nelly in the mix within seconds. The job of keeping a watchful eye over her fell to me, and I stuck to my duties for a solid hour before the band/DJs, whatever they wanted to call themselves, worked their magic on me.

I relinquished all best friend duties and surrendered to the dance. As soon as I let my guard down, a man swept in, likely picking up on my mood shift.

It didn't matter what his name was, what he did for a living, who he had left back home. I just wanted to dance.

So I danced.

He placed rough hands on my hips, which were exposed because of the semi-cropped shirt I wore, and I could feel his calloused hands. A working man. Kind of turned me on. I let him feel my skin and he pulled me closer once he noted I didn't mind the contact.

I didn't even bother turning to survey his features. Pimples? Who cares! Chunky? Who cares! Seventy-nine years old? Well, that might explain the rough hands... But who cares!

My instinctual dancing skills took over. I didn't know what I was doing to be honest. Over the years I watched how Nelly danced with men and now I was just mimicking her. Grinding, dipping low and rising in a sexy way, hands up in the air doing Lord knows what.

If only my guys could see me now!

Wait, they weren't mine. Why the hell would I want them to be? Fuck it. I needed to forget them.

Without a second thought, I turned to face the man I was dancing with because I prayed he could help me forget them. And when I looked him over, even in the dim lighting, I realized that someone had to be looking over me- Some guardian angel that blessed me with a handsome dancing partner.

He had to be just a few years older than me; with honey hair short enough to be considered just more than a buzz cut and blue eyes that caught the lights every time the strobes started. Damn, he even dressed well. He had a charcoal sports jacket on, teal button-up underneath it, and dark wash jeans to make it slightly more casual.

Now, I felt shameful in my black semi-crop shirt and ripped jeans.

"Hi," I mumbled.

His eyebrows drew together. "What?" He had to shout over the music just for me to hear him so it was obvious that he hadn't heard me.

"I said hi!" I shouted back.

At that, he smiled and pulled me out of the crowd and over to the bar where it was drastically easier to hear.