Chapter 26: Decide to be Happy

AEROS POV

"I don't know if no news is good news or not." I spoke into the phone.

"We still have no word on his whereabouts, but as long as you have been following protocol you should remain safe. I know it's hard but it is critical for your safety that know one knows your real identity." Agent Becker, my case agent said to me over the phone.

"Yes." I responded quietly.

***

I knew it wasn't a good idea as soon as I heard the words "game night" and "with my family" leave Thomas's mouth. He said it's his parents way of trying to pay attention to their children. Also known as they are leaving for Quebec tomorrow for a conference.

"Nora! So glad you could join us!" His mom smiled as we sat down across from her on the couch.

"I'm surprised dad didn't scare you away." Sarah-Jessica said sarcastically sitting down next to her mom.

"Oh hush honey! Richard? Are you coming?" Lisa hollered into the other room.

"I'm coming, I'm coming!" He said entering the room. "Nora, can we get you anything to drink?"

He sat down on the couch on Lisa's other side.

"I'm all set, but thank you." I said declining his offer.

"Don't be modest. Julie! Can you grab us all some waters?" He yelled into the other room.

A small hispanic women came into the room carrying a tray with five glasses of water.

Thomas and I sat close together so our knees were slightly touching, and I could basically feel the glares he gave his father after every sentence he spoke.

"That's when I said- no really- I'M the owner!" Richard laughed.

Everyone but Thomas contributed laughter.

"It's your turn to go." Thomas growled at his father.

"Oh right." His dad replied looking down at his cards. He placed down a blue skip card to skip Thomas's turn.

"Didn't see that one coming, eh?" He grinned.

Thomas didn't react, he just looked over at me.

I put down a card and waiting for the others to take their turns.

"Tommy, you know it's not too late to join us for the trip." His mom said quietly.

"No mom, really, I'm all set." He said firmly.

I decided to play one of my blue five cards. "UNO." I said holding up my last card.

"Really honey, you could bring Nora along too if you'd like!" She offered nicely.

"There's plenty of room at that house, you could have my spare room." Sarah-Jessica said looking at me.

Was that sincere or sarcastic?

"Would you be interested in coming along, Nora?" Lisa smiled at me.

No I can't leave this area or else the police will freak out.

"I-" I awkwardly began but Thomas spoke for me.

"No really mom, we're all set." He said coldly.

"Yeah remember Lisa, he's too good for us." His dad said abruptly.

"Fuck you." Thomas said throwing his cards down on the table.

"Let's not get into it tonight! We have a guest!" Lisa yelled.