Chapter 36

Rohan Sarthak's POV:

Every step I was taking, every breathe I was inhaling, was getting heavier than the previous one I took. No sounds were reaching my ears, no visual was catching my attention, and no word was coming out of my mouth. 

Right now, we were rushing towards the hospital. When Jiya broke the news to us, my heart skipped a beat, and I guess it happened with Ajay too.

But he regained his composure and asked her all the details how it happened and why it happened, but she is sobbing too badly to tell us any details. She just told us which hospital they were in. 

That was it. We both literally ran out of our dorms. I didn't care about my faded t-shirt and the shorts, which came down to my knees. Neither was Ajay dressed decently, but none of us didn't care about ourselves.

We boarded a city bus to reach the hospital as we couldn't wait for any auto, neither our brains worked well to book a cab. Only one thing was our main priority, Tanvi. 

What happened to her now? Was she safe? Did anything serious happen? I rubbed my palms together to ease myself, telling my heart that she would be fine. Nothing would happen to her. 

Finally, we reached the hospital. This journey seemed the longest journey I had ever encountered in my life. We immediately rushed towards the reception. 

"Excuse me?" Ajay said, wiping the sweat off his forehead. There was just one difference between us now. One could know his tension and nervousness, while I couldn't express mine.   

"Can you please tell us where the patient named Tanvi is?" Ajay said to her when the receptionist put her phone down. She nodded her head and started checking the register and the computer.

I turned around to notice many people sitting on the chairs. The hospital was quite busy and crowded. Then, I noticed a stretcher- an empty stretcher, but it was soaked with blood. The white bed sheet was filled with dry blood, and a shiver ran down my spine, my whole body turned cold. What if she was on this before? 

"The patient has lost a lot of blood but is stable now," said the ward member to his fellow mate. Though my breathing became normal listening to it, the shiver still didn't waver off. 

The last time I had been to a hospital was when my Mom underwent surgery. Those days were literally hell. We took mom to hospital on stretcher when she first fainted, and we brought her body back to home on a stretcher, too, the day she breathed her last. I couldn't look at her that day. She didn't look like my mother. She lost all her hair, weight, and glow on her face. Even I lost myself that day. Since then, I developed a phobia for hospitals. 

I was brought back to the world when Ajay patted my shoulder and I turned around. He observed my fear and said, "She is in room 143. Let's go."

We searched the corridor and finally found the room. As we were about to open the door, we heard two voices of girls, arguing very badly. I couldn't bear another second of my life without seeing her now.

"Why you said it...." I heard Tanvi say before we entered the room with a bang. There I saw her sitting on the hospital bed all well, except a crape band to her right leg and a nasty bruise on her forehead. The moment I saw her safe and sound, my breathing became normal again. I had found my solace.

"Ajay?" Tanvi said with a soft expression on her face, which I didn't like at all.

"How are...you?" Ajay asked her observing her form fully. 

"Did you say to them also?" Tanvi said while gritting her teeth to her friend. I was not looking at anything apart from her. I kept staring at her.

"They called me when the doctors took you in and am crying then, so...." she said. 

"May I know what happened to you?" asked Ajay. I am just listening to their talks, but am not looking at anyone else.

"Nothing Ajay..." Tanvi was about to tell her version, but her friend cut her off, "Don't you dare say it's nothing. You couldn't even stand up on your own."

For the first time, I looked at her friend. I guess her name is Jiya. She was looking miserable with her hair all disheveled as well as her dress, her eyes and cheeks puffy because of crying. 

"Ok, then you only say," Tanvi said and folded her hands across her chest and sat on the bed with a frown. 

"Look Ajay," Jiya ordered Ajay and even looked at me as I was staring at her. She continued, "You know right it poured heavily yesterday, and even today morning, so all the paths were filled with water and mud. She didn't go to college for the past two days, and even I didn't go yesterday, so we decided to go today. On our way to our block, a bike came in our way, and because of excess water, that rascal lost his balance and almost dashed into our path. I successfully moved aside while this madam," she pointed her hand to Tanvi, "did a feat and her ankle got twisted. To add more pain in ass, she bumped into the wall ahead of her, and there is the bruise. She couldn't even stand up you know. She shouted and cried the entire time I was bringing her here. See how tightly she had held my hand all the time. There are her finger prints here."

She said all this in a single go without taking a breathe. Both Ajay and Tanvi kept staring at her as she completed her monologue, while only one thought lingered in my mind, What if the bike hit her? What if something more grave happened to her?

"Listen, they are going to discharge me now only, and I can go to the hostel, and then to college after a few days bed rest, so..." I didn't let her complete her sentence. I immediately went to her and hugged her tightly to avoid those negative thoughts.

I hugged her for the first time ever. I hugged a girl for the first time ever.

She felt like a soft and silky doll in my hold. My heartbeat slowed down, but I could feel her heart throbbing very rapidly. I moved a bit more close to her when I noticed I was brushing her leg. This time, our cheeks came in contact with one another. Her skin against my beard sent tingles all over my body. She became rigid when I came more in contact with her. Her breathing was uneven too. 

This was the first time ever I did what I want immediately, and I don't regret anything about this. I moved back after a moment of sheer silence, only to find her eyes enlarged. To say that she was shocked would be an understatement. She didn't hug me back, so her hands were raised up, still in the air. 

"Take care," I said slowly and turned around to leave the room. There I saw the pale faces of Ajay and Jiya. They made funny expressions and were shocked by the scene. Especially Jiya, with her mouth opened wide, and her eyes are popping out. Without saying anything, I went out of the room with an innocent face while my heart was dancing from inside. 

There was some satisfaction inside me, and a small smile made its way to my lips after a long time without any reason. Then, I observed the whole corridor. I guess it was a VIP room in which she was put up. I just walked all the way down slowly, unlike how I came up. 

When I reached to the exit, I felt a tap on my shoulder and turned around to see Ajay behind me with no expression on his face. I looked at him, and then something flickered in my mind, 'Did he tell her who I am?'

I looked at him with horror filled expression, while he asked me one thing, "Do you still love her?"

Love? Do I love her? I never named our relationship, and I never wanted to do that even. 

"I don't know about love, but I want to start everything afresh again. And the first step towards it is friendship."

So how is the chapter guys?

Not a big one comparatively but a sweet one isn't it?

For the first time I have written a hug scene and for that only am all feeling different. Don't expect more( or do expect more)

And do you have such a friend like Jiya who makes the things look so big or you yourself is like that? But Jiya got too much worried. 

So that's it for today. Hope you like it.

Please VOTE, COMMENT and SHARE this book too. Let's celebrate when it reaches 10k soon.

Thank you.

Stay Safe.