Chapter 53 [edited]

Two weeks had passed since Jacob's surprise, bringing Christmas closer and with it the anxiety everyone was feeling about the Volturi's visit. Not to mention things felt off since Alice and Jasper had left shortly after Alice's vision without a word of where they were heading.

It was made pretty clear the chance of them returning was slim, if even existent, when their friends Peter and Charlotte showed up at the Cullens' house and couldn't answer Esme's question about their plans or whereabouts.

With the arrival of each vampire friend's arrival, more and more young wolves were turning. Jacob and Sam had been working together to ensure each transition went smoothly and not as panic-filled as Sam's had been, but I could see it on both of their faces: the process was exhausting them.

"How many are joining Sam's pack?" I had asked Christmas Eve night, as Jacob sunk into the couch after returning from another 9-1-1 call from Sam.

"Hard to say. We might split them evenly, but most of them will probably go to Sam." He groaned, throwing his head back to stare at the ceiling. A moment passed before his eyes met mine, a small smile on his face. "Guess who's joining our pack?"

"Who?"

A slight pause.

"Embry and Quil."

"No way!" I squealed, clasping my hands together. "Awh Jake, that's great news!"

"They're pretty stoked too." He chuckled softly. "It'll be good to have them around again."

"I know what you mean." I glanced at the wall beside the hallway where a new photo of Chloe and I hung proudly in view, taken by Mom at the baby shower.

"Do you need any help wrapping presents for tomorrow?" He changed the subject, eyeing the small pile on the floor beside me.

"No, I think I can manage." I smiled in response. "There's only a couple left anyway."

"I'm going to go check on my dad and Rachel then. See you at Charlie's?" He stood up to leave, kissing my forehead before heading for the door.

"Don't forget you're driving with Bella and Renesmee!" I called after him, earning a thumbs up over his shoulder. "Love you!"

"Love you more."

The click of the door sounded in the brief silence following his exit before muffled voices outside the window caught my attention. Seconds passed and the door swung open again, this time revealing Mom and bags of groceries hooked to one arm while a cake box was held in the other.

"Let me help you." I scrambled to my feet, taking the cake box before it toppled over. "Is there anything else you need to be brought in from the car?"

"No, this is everything." Mom replied, setting the bags down on the dining room table. "Just a few last-minute things needed for dinner tomorrow."

"That sounds so normal," I giggled, shaking my head. "I think that's the first 'normal' thing I've heard since we moved to Forks."

"I guess you're right." Mom chuckled with me. "We'll make the time for 'normal' every once in a while, especially when the baby comes. Deal?"

"Deal." I grinned at her over the cake box.

"Speaking of baby, how do you feel?" Mom asked, placing the back of her hand against my forehead. "You look a little pale."

"I feel fine," I said as I mentally checked myself. "Nothing seems off to me."

"Are you getting enough sleep?"

"Not exactly," I admitted honestly. "I still have nightmares every now and then, and they seem to be intensified with the pregnancy."

"It could be because of your magic," Mom said thoughtfully. "You're growing a human inside of you. That's bound to have some kind of effect on your powers. I'll look for your grandmother's recipe book she gave me when I was pregnant with you and see if I can find a tea to help soothe your nightmares."