Chapter 18 [edited]

"Where's the fire?" Charlie joked as Bella and I bolted into the kitchen. He watched us in bewilderment as Bella raided her snack drawer and I grabbed water bottles from the fridge.

"We have to go see Jake," Bella said over her shoulder as she tossed granola bars into a bag.

"Right now?" Charlie asked, glancing at his watch. "Don't you think it's a little early for that?"

"It's important." I assured him. He must've realized the urgency because he nodded his head.

"Okay. Tell Billy I said hi, and I'll call him later about fishing."

"Got it!" We said in unison as we ran out the door to Bella's truck.

Ten minutes later, Bella was knocking on the Blacks' door. Billy opened the door, surprised to see us standing there.

"Hello, girls."

"We need to see him." Bella cut him off.

"He's not in right now." Billy's eyes narrowed slightly at her. Bella sighed before pushing her way past him.

"Sorry, Billy, but it's urgent." Bella headed toward Jacob's room, determined. I looked back at Billy apologetically.

"We know, Billy." I murmured. "We know about Jacob."

Billy sighed, visibly sagging in his wheelchair. As I took a closer look at the man in front of me, I could see that his face aged a few years; probably due to the worry and stress he had endured over the last couple of weeks due to Jacob's transformation.

"He didn't tell us," I added. "At least, not intentionally. He told us some legends when I first came here, to try and impress us."

Before Billy could respond, Bella was hurrying back outside, anger written all over her face. Billy and I looked at each other in confusion until realization flashed in Billy's eyes.

"Go outside with her," he urged, wheeling around. "I'll wake up Jacob."

I stepped outside and noticed Bella was already halfway across the yard to where Sam and the others had emerged from the trail.

"What did you do to him?" I heard Bella yell at Sam as she walked up to him. She pushed his chest in anger once she reached him, causing Paul to take a step toward her. "What did you do?"

"Both of you. Calm down," Sam said darkly, throwing his arm in front of Paul to keep him back.

"What did we do?" Paul snarled. "What did he tell you?"

"Nothing!" Bella spat at him. "He tells me nothing because he's scared of you!"

Paul laughed humorlessly, glaring at Bella. Before I could stop her, she punched Paul in the face. His body began to tremor with anger, and snarls came from his vocal cords.

"Too late now," Jared said, stepping backward.

"Bella, Autumn, get back!" Sam ordered, turning to Paul. "Paul, calm down now."

Paul didn't seem to hear Sam; in an instant, his body spasmed and Paul transformed into a huge gray wolf, snarling and growling as he stared Bella down. From behind us, we heard the back door slam shut.

"Bella! Autumn!" Jacob yelled from the porch. He hopped over the railing toward us as we ran toward the house.

"Jacob! Run!" Bella yelled as she reached him.

Without a second glance, Jacob hurled himself over us, causing both of us to fall to the ground, and transformed into a russet brown wolf in midair. He stood between us and Paul, growling defensively. Bella and I sat on the grass, watching in horror as the two lunged at each other, rolling into the woods.