Chapter 32 [edited]

As the dark blue night sky slowly faded into a plum horizon, an overcast rolled in, a heavy mist embracing the earth. Most of the Cullens were already in the large field in the middle of the forest where they told the pack to meet them when I parked my car at the edge of the trail. Edward and Bella were nowhere in sight yet and for that, I was momentarily grateful.

Alice's party had been a few nights ago and I still hadn't talked to Bella after storming out of the house. I didn't know what to say to her; part of me was still so angry at her behavior towards Jacob, my insecurity getting the better of me.

Slamming the door shut, I wandered over to Esme and Alice who were watching Jasper and Emmett as we waited for the others to show. The quiet of the forest was broken by Emmett being flung into the air as Jasper slammed into him; landing hard on his back, Emmett immediately sprung to his feet and glared at his brother.

"Again." He snarled, stalking back to the makeshift circle.

The sound of tires crunching over fallen sticks captured our attention and we all stopped to watch Edward's Volvo skid to a halt next to Jasper's Jeep. Edward and Bella got out of the car, automatically reaching for the other's hand as they headed into the field together. Halfway across from us, Edward stopped walking.

"They're here." He called out, turning back toward the treeline.

Emerging from out of the mist, eight giant wolves skulked forward; their approaches and expressions as wary and on-edge as the Cullens were. Emmett recognized Paul in his wolf form; the smile on Emmett's lips and the low growl coming from Paul as their eyes met was enough confirmation. Both were itching for a rematch from the weekend I left for Michigan.

"They don't trust us enough to be in their human forms," Edward murmured, a tone of nonsurprise.

"They came. That's what matters." Carlisle responded.

My gaze connected with the russet brown wolf closest to me, my body relaxing as I recognized the chocolate brown eyes. He seemed to almost smile, tongue lolling as I grinned back.

"Jake..."

A sharp bark from Sam called Jacob to focus, his eyes sparkling with humor as Sam dipped his head in my direction. I winked back at him playfully before turning to Carlisle who was waiting to address the pack.

"Will you translate?" He asked Edward, who nodded; satisfied, Carlisle turned back toward the pack. "Welcome. As you are all aware, I'm sure from Jacob keeping you in the loop, there is a newborn army of vampires coming for us soon. We need to be prepared to fight, to save not only our existence here but the town as well. Jasper here has experience with newborn vampires. He'll teach us how to defeat them."

"They want to know how the 'newborns' are different from us," Edward spoke in a voice that almost sounded like Sam's, both deep and powerful.

"They're a great deal stronger than us because their own human blood lingers in their tissues. Our kind is never more physically powerful... than in our first several months of this life." Carlisle answered.

The pack shifted on their feet as they took the information in. Carlisle nodded to Jasper to take over. In the moment of slight hesitation, I noticed the initial discomfort on Jasper's face from both the wolves and the sudden attention of everyone watching him expectedly. Clearing his throat, he took Carlisle's place anyway.

"Carlisle's right. That's why they are created. A newborn army doesn't need thousands like a human army. And no human army could stand against them. The two most important things to remember are, first... Never let them get their arms around you. They'll crush you instantly. The second... Never go for the obvious kill. They'll be expecting that. And you will lose. Emmett?" Jasper motioned him to resume his place from earlier. "Don't hold back."