48| Debt

Rehan's body froze. He never could have guessed his family had anything to do with the occurrence. Let alone his brother.

"What do you mean?" Rehan inquired carefully. As much as he wanted his brother to spill everything, he knew Ved was standing on an edge.

"I had some debt," Ved answered his whole body shaking from the inside. "I knew this guy who gave me drugs for credit. I was supposed to give the money back but I couldn't. He started threatening me. I'm sorry,"

Ved cried covering his face. Rehan looked on not knowing what to say. This was the first time his brother cried in front of him.

"Kavya Di caught me when I was smoking. I told her about the money issue later and she tried to help me but she hadn't enough money. I decided to steal from home but she stopped me. She told me she hired a guy who'll take the cash from home instead of me. And that he's trustworthy and all."

"Was it on the wedding night?"

Ved nodded. "That day everyone won't be home and she said, he could come and steal the money."

Rehan felt shortness of breath. He came out of the car and take deep breaths. He couldn't believe his brother and Kavya were the whole reason behind his family's melancholy.

Ved ran out of the car to Rehan. He was scared of the outcome, now there was no going back. Everyone will soon know the truth. He will be in prison, and most importantly his whole family will hate him. He can't bear that.

"Please don't take me to the police. They'll kill me. I'll die." Ved wept to fall on his knees.

Rehan pulled him and hugged his brother.

"We'll take care of it."

Rehan didn't know why he said that but those were the only words he could come out with.

He took his brother back home and warned him not to talk about this to anybody. Ved was in a vulnerable state and glare from anyone will make him spit everything.

Rehan drove to Kavya's house. He wanted to ask her why the hell did she plot this idea? Kept Ved's habit from everyone? From him?

Kanika opened the door after a few seconds Rehan rang the bell.

"Rehan!" She looked surprised seeing him in her house. "It's been so long since you came here. Come inside."

He faked a smile and informed her he wanted to see Kavya. Kanika signed him to her daughter's room and Rehan paced.

He knocked on the door thrice before Kavya opened her door.

"Hey," She said letting him in. "What are you doing here?"

"Ved told me everything," Rehan let out folding his hands against his chest. "What the hell were you both thinking."

Kavya closed the door of her room and turned to him. She clutched her hands together in a tight hold before speaking.

"I know it was stupid for me to hire a guy to steal money but I never knew it would turn out to be like this. Tara and Aadhya weren't supposed to be there. I'm sorry." Kavya looked down closing her teary eyes.

Rehan grabbed her arms and shook her. "I lost my daughter and my sister in this. I can't even talk to Ved without running words before in my mind. He's so on the edge that if I say something I'll lose my brother too."

Kavya let the tears fall out of her eyes as she falls on the floor.

"I'm sorry, I'm sorry--" She wept hugging her knees.