41| Tara

Aadhya rested her head on Rehan's shoulder. They both were silent. More than the soothing words they knew, the most they needed was each other.

"I can't remember anything," Aadhya mumbled. Because her face was close to his ear, he heard her low voice. "The last thing I remember was I'd my babies inside me, and then I woke up to find one of them left me and the other is barely alive."

Rehan didn't know what had happened. The only thing Sanjay told him was, there was an accident. He shut his eyes, he didn't enquire what had happened, all he knew was he'd more alcohol than he could bear.

"Am I really, such a bad mother that I couldn't protect my children?" She questioned looking at him. He shook his head in disagreement.

"You're not. You're the best mother, whatever might have happened there, I know you'd tried to save their life." He pulled her to his chest and stayed still.

"You saw her?" Rehan asked indicating about their daughter.

"I don't want to---" She replied burying her head to his chest. Her throat feeling tight. "--she's somewhere out there alive, at least in my mind. I don---" She paused to touch her empty stomach. "I don't want her to die. Rehan, my baby--"

"She is dead, Aadhya." He spoke the truth. "She is."

Rehan pushed her hair behind her ears. He touched her rosy cheeks and placed his thumb on her jaw.

The pictures he had seen for the last months of her had always a smile on them.

She used to smile from the heart.

Rehan was not used to her lifeless eyes. It always used to sparkle but now there was emptiness.

Aadhya's lips quivered unable to reply to his statement. True statement. She was scared of reality. She didn't want her child to die.

But she found it difficult to grasp the truth. That her daughter died.

The door opened as Devki entered with a bag. She spotted Rehan and understood her daughter and son-in-law were having a moment.

She tried to go back but Rehan stopped her.

"I'll be back, with our daughter." He said to Aadhya. She denied by shaking her head. He pressed his lips on her forehead before leaving the room.

Rehan wasn't sure of anything but that he's a bad father. His baby girl died, and he didn't go to see her. He was a bad father. His baby boy, like Aadhya, said, was "fighting for life" and Rehan didn't go to see him.

He was a bad father.

But Rehan was persistent not to make the same mistakes again. He was ready to fight.

The hospital was like his relatives' house and he knew the exact nook and corner. So he didn't have to wander looking for his parents.

On the way to his mother's, he was interrupted by an attender working in the hospital.

"Malhotra sir asked you to come to the conference room and it's very urgent." The attender said before he rushed through the doors of the hospital.

Rehan walked to the conference room. His father's assistant was standing by the door and opened it once she saw Rehan.

He scanned the door, his father on his chair with Sanjay, and two police officers by the other two sides. Everyone turned to look at Rehan, except Sanjay who leaned his head back and focused on the stealing.

"This is my son, Rehan. Aadhya's husband." Raj said to the policemen. Rehan sat on the chair and looked at the files over the table.

"Kiran Basu, Sub Inspector and this is my colleague." The policeman shook his hands with Rehan. "ACP Sir will be back today evening so till then I'll be handling this."