01| Bell and Brake

Rehan Malhotra

"Dev I can't come to today's party. I have to go to someplace with my dear mom." I send my voice message before throwing the phone on the bed and looking at my mom who was smirking while folding my clothes.

"See Rehan your room is so untidy. Chi chi. I can't take care of you and your room my whole life. If you get married then you'll have a bell and brake in your life." Dr Sunita Raj Malhotra, my dear mother tells taking the wet towel from my bed and keeping it on the hanger.

"I don't need a wife to take care of my room and myself. I can do that." I say defensively.

"I'm a feminist and don't try to twist my words. We are going to find a girl for sure, this year." Mom answer back before walking out.

Marriage. It all started when I was 25 years old and became a marine engineer. But I shrugged off the marriage thing saying I'm not mature and it's too early. But now I'm 27 and she wants me to get engaged at least before I become 28. Last year she again started talking about marriage things and till now I've seen 14 girls.

She now thinks I have got a bad omen and that's why my marriage is not getting fixed so she decided to take me to a temple and hold a puja. I tried my level best not to go there but my mother's drama won over me.

And there is another reason too (other than her wish to see her daughter in law and grandchild) for getting me married, I have got a cunning aunt and who's equally greed of money. She wants me to marry her daughter and my mom hates my aunt and her daughter so before my aunt come and ask for my hand, my mom want to fix my marriage with another girl. So I'm trapped.

I button my shirt as fast I could and search for my keys. I take my wallet and phone and turns to walk out of the room.

"You should cut your hair. What is this?" Mom asks pulling my hair in her hand and I groan and stop. She twists my hair and I turn around.

"Mom!"

"If you don't cut it, I'll do it myself." She warns and I know she will.

"Okay. Okay." I say and loosens her hand and run out of my room.

I reach downstairs and see my sisters laying down on the couch. Liya is sixteen while Rhea is ten and they are total opposites to each other. Liya is very calm, quite and at the same time violent. Rhea is very observing and fights for what she wants. Actually, all of us are pretty crazy, I guess.

"Where is Ved?" I ask them as I grab my sneakers from the shoe rack.

"In Kriti's mouth?" Liya says rolling her eyes.

"Liya!"

"What? How do I know where he is!" She says.

And yes, Liya isn't fond of our brother, Ved. He is only a year elder to her.

I roll my eyes and slips on my shoes. I'm on holiday and arrived only a week ago but my family is already making me to book my ticket fast. I grab my keys and run out of the house.

Aadhya Mehra

Finally, my exams are finished. It was a hectic day with the exam in the morning, followed by record submission etc. I want to go home and sleep. That's it.

I sit on my college bus listening to music on my earphone when I see Rita, my best friend running towards the bus. She enters the bus and sits near me. I pause the music and look at her.

"I'm on time," Rita whisper panting.

"You're not on time, the driver is late," I remind giving her water.

"Oops. Anyways when I was running I saw Abhishek." She opens the bottle and begins to drink.

"Hmm," I rest my head on her shoulder continuing to listen to Shawn Mendes.

"He came to see you." She explains opening her bag and pulling out a cover.

"To give this to Anju?" I inquire her and she nods yes.

"Why can't he come to her house with his parents and ask for her hand in marriage. He's rich, well settled. Everything is fine right? " She questions looking at me.

"I don't know." I shrug, playing the music.

I come from a very big Orthodox family. Where love marriage is impossible. My cousin Anjana, is in love with a guy from her college days. I guess she is afraid to talk to our family, where still patriarchy rules.

She lives in Delhi but since my sister's baby shower is tomorrow they've come here and her boyfriend lives in Mumbai. She can't get out of the house because she's ill, hence he's passing the gift to me so that I can give it to her.

I'm not in a relationship as I know I'll be having an arranged marriage only and if I had one and it didn't work out I'll be in regret and I don't want to face such things at all. So here I'm free and single and not ready to mingle.

I reach my house and see Anju sitting in the dining hall. This girl is waiting for her gift. She comes to me and forward her hand. I keep my bag in her hand and go to the kitchen.

Bhabhi is frying the samosas while my sister is busy making gulab jamun. "Hello, pretty ladies," I announce while taking one fried samosa and sitting beside my sister Jhanvi.

Nita Bhabhi look at me and ask, "We'll be going shopping tonight, are you coming?"

"Of course I will. What a question is that?" I smile taking sauce from the fridge and putting it on my plate.

"Nita Bhabhi, did you hear papa and ma talking about someone's marriage?" Di ask with a mischievous smile.

"I won't get married until I receive my degree certificate and have a job," I smirk licking my fingers.

"I got married before I complete my PG and after marriage, I continued my studies and got my PG. See that's not a big deal " Di say and look at me with a smile.

I know they are teasing me but I shake my head. "You got lucky. If I don't get a nice family like yours and instead I get one like ours, I will be here in the blink of an eye. So I won't get married any time now." I declare.

please vote, comment and share.