Prologue

PROLOGUE

I'm sorry I can't be there for u and my son. When I get out of here I put on everything Imma take u outta that hood and build us a better life. We both deserve that and I don't want my son to go any further growing up without me being by his side letting him know I got his back no matter what. Forgive me for my past and all that young dumb shit I use to do. I'm not on that anymore. I wanna change and I believe being here has really made me see that nothin else is more important than me and u. U mines forever and I love u Giselle. Send me a picture of u and our son. Hopefully I'll be out in no time.

Giselle stared at the letter reading it for the fourth time today. She looked at her son sleeping peacefully on their bed. This was the first letter from Corey since he had been in jail for two years. She wondered what took him so long to write her. She figured it must've been because she had stopped taking Israel to see him. She was getting tired of him making her promise after promise about him getting out and never doing it so she stopped hoping and wanted to move on but now that he sent her this, it changed everything.

She got off the bed and headed out to the living room where her sister sat on the couch stuffing her face wit tortilla chips and dip. "U gone be fat. U know u too old to be eating like that," she said joking wit her sister who threw a pillow at her.

"Whateva. U the one wit the healthy body weight. Mama Curves."

"Shut-up."

"What the letter say," her sister said not wanting to wait another second to hear the lies that Corey was now telling.

"Gina, come on man stop being so damn nosy."

"No, I wanna know what that nigga had to say about him being in jail another year."

"He's getting out."

"When?"

"Soon."

"Soon when?"

"Gina give me a fucking break man."

"I'm just saying...I love u and my baby but ya'll need to hurry up and bounce outta here. I can't even sport my dudes over here like I want to."

"What dudes?"

"Look I'm tryna have a baby soon and I need my space."

"U too old to be thinkin about kids."

"Well excuse me for not getting laid out during my teenage years like some folks. I was too busy graduating and shit."

"I know u ain't talkin shit. I graduated bitch," Giselle said makin them both laugh.

Giselle reached into the fridge for some kool-aid. As she poured her a cup she thought about what her sister said. She did need to move outta here from her. She had been living with Corey until the cops came in that day and busted thru all their shit. He was on the come up quick from bein a dope boy but like always someone snitched and the shit went away quick.

She walked back into the living room to sit next to her sister. When she reached for some chips Gina snatched the bag away. "Nun-uhn. I'm gone be fat remember so I don't need u takin none of my shit."

"Come on Gina stop playing," she said reaching for the bag again.

"No," she said snatching it farther, "go drink a slim fast or somethin. Ur hips too big to be eating these chips. These are skinny bitch chips," she said laughing turning red.

"A hah haha, that shit is lame as hell." After a while of sitting there watching Gina chump on chip after chip Giselle snatched the bag and ran into the kitchen.

"Giselle!"

"Shut-up before u wake my baby up," she said getting a paper towel and pouring her some chips on there. As she was giving her sister back the bag the doorbell rang.

"Look at this shit. U left me one chip in here," she said makin Giselle laugh.

Giselle opened the door and welcomed Kelita in. "What's up bitches," she said loud enough for the whole neighborhood to hear.

"Damn girl," Gina said lookin at her crazy, "can u say it a little louder? I'on think the dead heard u."

"Whatever hoe," she said walking with Giselle to her room. Gina and Kelita liked each other but if it wasn't for Giselle they really wouldn't talk to one another. "So what's been up with u? U know Dre been asking around town for yo ass and Mr. Freeman been wanting to know why u ain't been to work."

"I can't find no babysitter like that and Dre can kiss my ass."

"Oh, what? Corey must've sent u a letter or somethin," Kelita said jokingly but when she saw that Giselle wasn't laughing she stopped. "He did," she said staring into her friends light brown eyes.

Giselle handed her the paper and she read it. Kelita had the same reaction as Giselle when she looked at Israel laying down. "So what u gone do?"

"I wanna believe he gone be here for us but u know he ain't gone wanna give up that dope shit. Just as soon as he get out, it's gone be the same old King out here."

"yeah but...people can change."

"U right."

"I'm always is. But seriously Dre ain't gone wanna hear that shit. U been fucking with him for almost a year now. He been breaking u off some money to give yo sister and been helping u wit Issy, Dre gone be like fuck King."

"I know but....I'on know. I guess I'm in a world of shit."

"Hell yeah but hey I'm here for u whenever u need me. I see ur hustle wit my hustle I can keep u. Focused on ur focus I can feed u," Kelita said standing up and walking towards the bathroom.

"For real Lita, somethin is wrong wit u. U like Beyonce a little too much. Let her pussy breathe without u in it all the time u stan."