TEN

(Kai POV ♥︎)

I got to my house before Leah and informed my mom that she was coming over.

"Oh, I know. She told me." She smiles. The oven fan is on and she stirs something in a pan.

"Whatcha cooking mom?" I peak over her shoulder.

She smacks my chest and says, "This is not for you! This is for Leah."

"Leah?" I ask offended.

The door bell rings and I leave to go open it.

"Hey," She greets with a hand full of books.

"Come on in." I open it wider.

She comes in and her nose starts to sniff the air. "hmmm what's that smell?"

"My mom is making something for you." My voice comes out with a tang of jealousy.

Her nose leads her to kitchen and when my mom sees her, her hands go up. "Leah!" She greets happily.

Leah smiles and runs into her arms with her books and my mom gives her a hug.

How does that make sense? I'm the one supposed to be her kid, yet I get no hug. I lean on kitchen island and wait for their squeaks to end.

"Oh right! You have to study with him." She says with disgust as a 'joke'.

"I'll be in my room." I leave.

I can't believe Leah tricked my mom into liking her. I enter my room and see Raisin sprawled out on my bed.

"Hey girl," I rub her back.

Sitting on the bed next to her, I hear the door hinges open and see Leah fill the doorway.

"Any upcoming tests?" She closes the door behind her.

"Um... a science one." I groan and stuff my head in a pillow.

She plops her self down on my bed and dumps her books all over the place.

"Okie dokie!"

Who even says that anymore?

"Science." She skims her book. "Chemistry?"

"Yup. Not all of us are smart." I roll over towards her.

"Yeah, yeah. I forget you're dumb. Are you gonna smoke?"

"What?" Is she addicted now or something?

"You know, a cigarette?"

"No."

"oh."

"You want one?"

"no."

She's lying.

"I'm not going to teach you to smoke again." I move my body to lean against my headboard.

"What are you going to teach me?" She places her hands on the bed in curiosity.

"To sneak out."

Her eyes light up in excitement and she moves forwards more.

Raisin mews, clearly annoyed she's not being pet right now.

Leah spots the cat and her eyes glow with adornment. "A cat? You never told me you had a cat!" She stuck her hand out so the cat could sniff it.

She's not a dog though so she stuck her head out and ignored Leah.

"Well, I'm really not close, or even friends with you so..."

"yikes. So mean." She groans.

"Like I was saying. I'll pick you up from your house at one in the morning and your job is to not get caught. I'll teach you tricks to use."

"Isn't that late?" She asks stupidly.

"That's the whole point." I respond annoyed.

"Right!" She laughs off her mistake.

I really don't understand Leah Chanler. It confuses me how innocent she is and how devilish she wants to become. I'm a little confused as to why she thought of the idea in the first place. To all of a sudden go rogue.

"Yeah, so teach me about this chemistry shit, and then I'll teach you how to sneak out." I smirk.

"Ok!" She opens her books. "You know about ions and element mass right?" She looks at me with hope.

What the fuck is that?

"This is going to take a while." She slumps.

~

"And that's what you need to know for your test." She says looking completely exhausted.

I listened partly and partly just looked at her lips at they talked. For no particular reason, they just looked weird talking. Her lips were engraved in my mind from looking at them for so long.

They were plump but not big. They were tilted in corners like a permanent smile and had a freckle on the bottom left side. It looked like maybe food at first, but then she licked her lips once and it didn't go away.

"Kai?" She broke me out of my trance. "Do you understand?"

"Yeah." I stroked Raisin. She purred and I know Leah knew I had no clue what was going on still.

"Well call me if before your test you need help remembering something, and don't forget your formulas!" She sits back and hands me a note card.

"Leah! Kai!" My mother yelled.

Why does she need both of us?

I leave my room and head downstairs to see my mom at the foot of the stairs with a huge smile plastered on her face.

I stop abruptly confused and feel Leah run right into my back. She goes bouncing off and I stand there still.

"I made dinner, and Leah you're invited."

"Awe! Mrs. Dalton I'm honored." she walks past me and towards my mom.

I guess I never knew how much they bonded in the time I was sulking after the principal meeting.

"I'll help set the table." She walked into the kitchen. "um... where are the cups?" She asked out loud.

"Kai go help her." My mom told me with a big smile.

I walked past her dazed and confused and went into the kitchen.

She stood right in-front of it, but opened every cabinet but the one in-front of her. I placed my hands on her hips softly to move her aside.

"Right here." I got the cups easily out.

"Oh." She mumbled and looked away.

Why is she shy? She's open with my mom and shy with me? Confusing.

"I got the cups, come on." I lead her towards the dining table.

I know my mom would take this as a special dinner, so I assumed it would be set up and pretty in the dining room.

"Traditional Korean food!" My mom showed on display.

"Wow, this looks amazing Mrs. Dalton!" She complimented.

My dad ended up staying caught up in work again, and so Leah being here and enjoying her food made her really happy.

"Is it good?" My mom asked with a smile.

Sharing and making food made my mother so happy. My face grew a little smile with the expressions my mother would make at Leah. Such admiration over Leah's reactions. Leah would smile and nod and ask for seconds, and my mom would be over the moon

••••
LIKE
COMMENT
FOLLOW