Chapter 9: The Vista - Amy

Amy

Sitting in my dad's car outside the Vista, I close my eyes and try to quiet my mind. Thinking about a better time, a calmer time in my life, while I wait for Beth to arrive. Back before Kevin and college, when the three of us were young and enjoying life on the pond. It was so safe and peaceful. Our lives were our own and we could do as we pleased once the Allen's allowed me out of the house.

Growing up, Beth and I did everything together. We were inseparable, like sisters. We hung out every day after school. The weekends were more difficult because her family always had places they had to go or parties they needed to attend. I was invited often, but Corinne Allen, my foster mother, would say no every single time. She was okay with Beth and I being friends, but the Allen's did not seem to get along with her parents.

Probably because they were genuine people, not fake.

Corrine always made up excuses and said that I had chores to do, but she did not like for me to socialize with people in her circle. I was something the Allen's would drag out and show off when she was in a generous mood. Normally this would happen during one of Corrine's high society charity functions. She would dress me in whatever rags the church had donated. Then, I would be ordered to stand where I was told and to keep quiet. The other girls my age would laugh and snicker, so I hated those events.

Pastor Andrew told me a few times, "Amy, you are a gift from God. He has a plan for you and I have a feeling it's going to be miraculous."

Beth always found me and would stand by my side. She would tell the other girls off and send them running out of the room in tears.

What would I have done without Beth?

Corrine did all of this to prove to other snobs how charitable was for taking me into her home. That she wasn't the cold-hearted bitch everyone knew her to be. She never cared for me or hugged me. She told me once that I had a mother and no matter how pathetic she was, that's all I would ever have in life.

She agreed to look after me, but that was it, nothing more. If it wasn't for Beth, I doubt that I could have survived the cruelty inflicted on me daily. Beth's mother, Sandra, did not like how I was treated, either. She never said a word, but her eyes and body language told me how she truly felt about my foster mother.

Vin came along soon after, and he occupied my weekends. His aunt kept him very busy during the week, so it worked out well for me. Vin and I fell in love. We took our relationship very slow for a while because we were young and so unsure of ourselves. Once we gained confidence in each other, as well as ourselves, we became sexually active and soared.

The two of us were in the same boat. We were all alone and needed someone to love. He was so different from the other boys, so honest and thoughtful. We would talk for hours about anything under the sun and laugh, oh how we laughed.

He told me many times that we were made for each other and I couldn't agree more. Vin was my counterpoint. He was my equal and together we were a united front to all those who would try to tear us down.

Around Vin, I could be myself, let my hair down and my guard. We were very promiscuous later on, and he showed me things about myself that nothing was out of bounds.

I trusted him fully, so why didn't that trust make me realize we would be fine when I had to leave? Why did I give him up?

Answering myself, I say, "Because I did not want to find out he was just like the other people in my life."