Chapter 18: Unreal - Cal

Cal

Laying here in bed with the woman from my dreams, my mind is finally at peace. My body is sated. I feel good about myself and what we have just done together. Gone is the anger of losing her to another, or of missing out on a life we could have had because she will be mine once more. Amelia is in my arms. She is touching me, caressing my chest, and even though she does not know it yet, I am here with her.

Right now, I want to talk to Amelia, tell her everything, but this is for her, not for me, not yet. Amelia and I have waited this long, so a few more hours of her fantasy will be fine.

Something must have changed for her to stay single. Maybe her memory of me and the life we could have stopped her from doing something so wrong.

Why did I leave, running away solved nothing? It just prolongs the inevitable and what will be will be. It was time wasted, the time I lost with her and for that, I felt sorrow. But not today, not right now. At this moment, we are together and I will do everything in my power to keep her here with me.

It's so peaceful, laying here rubbing her back. Deciding to free her hair, I let it down without disturbing her blindfold. Fanning it out and running my fingers through it, I enjoy the sensation and it always relaxed me.

After a few minutes, Jacob returns and mouths the words, "You okay?"

I nod, releasing my hold on her.

Feeling a bit dazed by what we have just done, he reaches for Amelia. Jacob helps her off of me and carries her over to the Jacuzzi. I just need a moment to regroup and relish what we have just accomplished. My mind is reeling, Amelia is back. Now how am I going to tell her it's me?

While I lay here thinking about all that has just occurred, I worry it will upset her when Amelia realizes the truth. It's not like this was my idea. I assumed she was married to that jerk by now, with kids and a house in the country. I wonder if she is divorced or if they ever got married. That guy seemed like a total ass. But then again, if some other man showed up to my fiancée's graduation carrying a dozen red roses, I would be an asshole too. Christ, my mind is all over the place and I need to think this through.

God, what a terrible day that was... The plans I had made and the presents I bought her, only to find out that she had moved on and met someone else. It completely wrecked me after that and was so upset that I couldn't even tell Jacob what had happened. It's not every day that you plan to ask someone to marry you. Hell, the Lamborghini that I bought her as part of her graduation present is still parked in my garage. I was going to trade it in, but couldn't let it go. I bought it brand new in 2007 and it's 7 years old, but it's still like new because I've been gone so long.

Watching her walk up on stage as the Summa Cum Laude and speaking to the entire auditorium, I was so proud of her. Then I met her fiancée at her dorm, and my world fell apart. The guy looked all wrong for her; he was not what I thought she would be attracted to, but she was spoken for, so I bowed out and walked away for her.

I should have found her and fought for her, but I didn't. I let her go. That was a terrible mistake, and I will not be giving up so easily this time.

Laying here in bed, I hear her moan and know Jacob is doing his water sports. They are around the corner, but I can hear her sweet little sounds.

She is like a siren drawing me to her.

Swinging my legs over the edge, I stand up slowly and slip on my boxers. As I walk into the room, I see her naked and dripping wet as she gasps for air.