Prologue

"What the fuck...?" I stared at the large expanse of sand stretching out from my feet. There were miles of desert all around me, the sand rippling across itself as the wind tossed it about, changing the landscape slowly but surely. The bright blue sky was uninterrupted by the city skyline that I was just in, white and fluffy clouds passing overhead lazily. The sun was high in the sky, the heat reflected by the sand and instantly drying my mouth.

Last I checked, the outside of my apartment wasn't located in a desert. How the hell did I get here?

I looked behind me to see that the door -- the one I just closed -- had vanished entirely. There were no white-washed walls stained with cigarette smoke, no annoying city sounds pouring in through the broken stairway window, no squabbling neighbors yelling at each other over trust issues.

Nothing but an expansive desert.

I screamed.

When I woke up today, I wasn't expecting to be somehow teleported to the desert! I was dressed for a light run through the city, fully equipped with a pair of jogging shorts and a sporty tank top. If this was real, then I'd die very quickly.

Scanning my barren surroundings, I couldn't find any kind of shelter to hide from the aggressive sun. I was starting to sweat and I'd only been standing here for a few minutes...This wasn't good.

Closing my mouth and slowly breathing through my nose, I scanned the horizon closely to see if there were high sand dunes that I'd be able to stand on. Years of studying archeology in the Egyptian desert had definitely taught me two simple rules when someone got lost in the desert: use the sky for directions at night and climb to a high point for an accurate land survey during the day.

Finding a dune that seemed the closest, I made my way towards it and began climbing along its length to stand at the top. I started with the direction behind me before turning in a slow circle, looking for signs of civilization. There was nothing that broke the landscape until I turned around to face the direction that I had been walking in.

A vast city spread out alongside a river, glittered white against the tan sand. I couldn't see much detail from my current distance, but it seemed to be thriving with large architectures surrounded by bountiful farmland.

I made my way down the dune and towards it, knowing that it may be a few hours' journey by foot. I rechecked my direction by finding high-standing dunes, pleased to know that I had the right heading and that I was getting closer each time I checked. I'd need water first, calmly explain that I was lost (though it would be hard to explain why I was wearing my current outfit), and find a way to trade for proper clothing. I only had $40 stored in my shoe for emergencies if I found myself unable to go home. Hopefully, they'd be understanding and exchange what I had for their currency...

The sun began to sink in the west, behind my left shoulder, clearly indicating that I was walking east-northeast. The megalopolis began to light up as the sun dipped below the horizon, a sudden chill sweeping across the landscape and making me shudder. I only had a mile or so before I was at the city gates, but I was able to take a closer look at where I was heading.

The architecture was instantly recognizable as designs inspired the Middle Kingdom era in Egypt. Its white walls of stonework were near pristine, with torchlight dancing across the ramparts. I could see the large temple in the distance, occupying its own district and completely separated from the residential district. Across the river was a grand palace with smaller buildings on either side of it, all enclosed within a wall that was more defensive in practicality than decorative. The few boats pulling into their ports began folding up their sails as people were walking through the streets that were visible, possibly heading home as the night time fell.

I raised my hand in peace towards the few men standing by the open gate, attempting to show that I was unarmed and in need of help.

"Please!" I called out in Masri, pulling from my experience and from the inspired architecture, "I'm in need of help and require both water and clothes."

"Halt! Come no further!" The language he used didn't match mine.

Coptic...Such an old language, but he speaks it fluently.

I thought for a little bit, running through my third-hand Coptic vocabulary to piece together a sentence they'd understand.

"I mean...no hurt. I only need supplies...for my passage," I grimaced at each pause, wishing that I had spent more time studying the near-dead spoken language.

"You are dressed strange for one in these lands," I heard the other guard speak up, "What village are you from?"

"I'm...stranger here. Not belonging here," I tried to clarify, "I need...water and knowledge of...city so I can find home."

They looked at each other before walking towards me, spears in their hands. I slightly raised both hands, confused as to why they were using spears and not wanting to appear as a threat. They shoved me forward towards the gate, sometimes inspecting me as we walked forward.

"Are you a god?"

"What, no...no!" I shirked away as one of them tried to touch my bare side, "Human."

"Bring her to the head priest," One of them instructed the other, "He will know what to do with her."

I glanced around as we passed through the gate, not lowering my hands.

This was wrong.

The city I was in should be current in military and in technology, so why were they wielding spears and using torches for light? The people around us stopped what they were doing and stared at me as if I was an alien, children pointing at me and turning to their parents for answers. Some adults looked away, others tried to bow in reverence before being pulled up by others.

Ancient spears, proficient use of Coptic, the old designs of buildings that looked brand new...

I took in a slow breath through my nose, my eyes widening in realization. I hadn't just been teleported to the desert.

I'd been thrown back in time to Ancient Egypt...!