Chapter 15

"Sister."

I turned my eyes from the cloth I had been weaving to the woman standing close by, her features closely resembling mine, "Isis, what can I do for you?"

"I have a small request that I believe you'll be able to carry out," Her fingers danced through her hair before falling to rest at her sides, the dark hues within her eyes slowly lifting to lock with my own, "It's about Osiris."

"Your husband?" The sewing project lowered to my lap, forgotten, "What's going on?"

"He hasn't been able to sleep well these past few nights and I thought that you'd be able to help him. My magic isn't really suited for the task..."

"Of course I'll help you, Isis. You're my older sister!" I gave a hopeful smile, standing up and holding out my arms wide towards her. The other goddess returned the smile and the hug before disappearing towards her shared homestead with Osiris.

With only an hour or so left before the night descended, I had to prepare my spells. Bottles filled with sweet aromas and perfumes, smells meant to ease the mind towards empty slumber, herbs that encouraged the body to relax, anything that I could use to help the powerful deity into a peaceful sleep was packed into my little bag.

"I appreciate this, Nebthwt," Isis had met me in front of her garden gate, escorting me to the house they shared, "I've already made him drink something that has helped him before, so he should be ready for you."

"You really didn't need to, sister," A small feeling of uncertainty washed over my spine, but I ignored it, "I've brought everything I would need. What was the drink?"

I barely missed the anger in her eyes before she brushed the question away with a laugh and a wave of her hand, "Just water."

My smile fell ever so slightly.

I knew that Isis barely tolerated me since birth...probably less so when we were still in the womb. She only asked favors of me when she had something to gain, which made me question why I even agreed to her request. I couldn't say anything to Set about this, knowing that he'd forbid me from trying to help our oldest brother.

My brow furrowed a little as my eyes gazed at the gravel walkway beneath our feet.

I doubted that it was only water that she gave him.

"Here," Isis' voice caught me off-guard as something was lowered over my head. I blinked to see the familiar rainbow-colored shawl draped over my shoulders, "Wear this inside the house. It's enchanted with a calming spell."

"But this is yours...!" I tried to take it off, her hands clamping down firmly over mine.

"It's okay, Nebthwt. Just wear it for the visit and leave it on the gate when you're done. I'll be back after a while to see if Osiris is asleep."

With a kiss on the cheek, Isis cheerfully turned around and walked towards the gate I had come from.

I stood still, my mind completely blank until I was brought back to reality by the 'clank' of the gate closing shut.

"Okay...let's make this quick."

Osiris' kisses burned like fire on my skin, his touch hot coals as they caressed my body.

I had begged for him to come to his senses, to see that I wasn't his wife. Tears ran cold down my cheeks as I pleaded for him to stop, my nails biting into his flesh and ripping through a few layers, my teeth gnashing in anger as I had been turned this way and that while Osiris raped me...an action that I should've savored with Set had his focus ever wandered to me in love. The act of consummation never seemed to be foremost on his mind..