Chapter 5

The morning sun broke through the window, pouring over the empty writing table before sweeping down to touch my face, a harsh groan sounding as I turned away from the bright light.

Last night had been horrible.

The scribe was completely insistent about learning everything about my time, not settling for the series of fables that I had told and only relented when I began to fall asleep against the cushions.

I remember keeping my mind aware long enough to not let anything slip about the modern world, but there--

"By order of the Pharaoh!" A loud shout startled me fully awake, my eyes fully open and shooting a glare back to the doorway of the storeroom before a chill rushed over my body.

Two palace guards stood tall within the storeroom, both of them fully armed and armored with dark glares shooting back at me, "Ahti, guest of the desert, you're to accompany us back to the palace and remain on the premises until further notice from Pharaoh."

"...I understand..." I swallowed any protests, picking myself off the bed and putting my outfit together before walking out towards the city with the squad of guards that had been sent to escort me back.

I bit my bottom lip harshly, the pain doing nothing to dull the realization that I may never get the chance to leave the palace again. The Pharaoh seemed to be absolutely fascinated with whatever was going on with me, and the situation had only become worse since I found out that Set had a direct hand with whatever happened to bring me back in time.

The cherry on top of the historical sundae was that the current Pharaoh worshiped Set.

I had no allies to turn to.

My feet walked the roads into the palace's large outer courtyard, the solemn statues mocking my plight as they watched with empty eyes: deities and humans alike held no emotion as the guards kept me moving towards the regal building at the end of the road.

"Ahti, you disappoint me," The Pharaoh's voice carried through the large marbled room, the public crowd watching my tongue lashing as I remained alone in front of the throne. Her hidden fury that had unnerved me on my first meeting was now proudly displayed for all to see, the anger furrowing her brow and creasing her heavy makeup into the visage of a more-than-disappointed mother, "I have given you my blessing to stay here while you remain within my city, I have even extended the grace of visiting Thoth's temple...but no more. My visions have grown worse in your absence, the growing threat behind your being increasing with every second that you are away from my side."

I narrowed my eyes as I focused hard on the pale patterns within the marble beneath my knees, my body forced into the position by the guards before they stepped away. I felt like a criminal forced to prostrate for my innocence, knowing that if I tried to speak out of turn, the Pharaoh could have my head despite my foreign status.

"Last night, Set warned me of your destructive powers while I slept," She continued as I had to listen, "His words condemned you for your actions and so I will carry out his wishes. I will not have my cities turn against me, and I will not abandon the one keeping my lineage safe!"

I could only close my eyes at the sentencing, "...yes, your majesty."

"With that matter settled," Her voice quickly softened, as if pleased at getting her way with my punishment, "I wish to go for a quiet ride down the river. Ahti will accompany me."

I kept my gaze locked on the floor in front of me as I stood up, the guards that had brought me here continued to lead me through a side door behind the royal entourage. My nails bit into my palms as I clenched my fists tightly.