Chapter 14

Atum offered safety in exchange for hunting down nine of his sacred artifacts and a daily cleansing ritual that would last for seven days, uttering his great-granddaughter's name on the last day to drag her out from my body. If I wasn't steadfast to the cleansing ritual, my soul would be taken with her.

Thoth would continue his protection as long as I learned the ways of his sages, making the papyrus paper, quills, and ink while meditating alongside his chosen scribes to empty my mind. I could only guess that the meditation was meant to ease Thoth's possession of my body while he used my hands to write some spell that would throw Nephthys into her previous host regardless of their living state.

I couldn't trust myself on my own.

My fingers gently played with the hair resting near my ear, a soft hum drawing itself from my throat as I closed my eyes.

I wouldn't be led astray by either option. Both offers were made by deities that were considered the more powerful ones in the Egyptian mythos, only rivaled by Amun and Ra...or Amun-Ra in later years.

It was both Set and myself that could mess this up. I had to be genuine in my pursuit no matter which one I sided with.

'Cruel'. That was how Thoth described his offer.

Nephthys fucked with my life. I'll fuck with her plan.

"Thoth."

The name drew the ibis-headed deity's attention from the conversation he was having with Atum while I thought, the jade-green eyes lowering to my form as I raised my head high.

"I've decided to go with your offer."

Thoth's eyes hooded as an understanding smirk pulled at his normally neutral expression, his wings pulling closer to his sides as the deity adjusted his position on the stone ankh, "As you wish."

"Atum," My gaze switched to the progenitor deity, his green eyes holding my focus, "I am grateful for your protection as long as I had it. I will never forget the kindness you showed me."

His only response was the smile lifting the corners of his mouth, exposing his elongated fangs more before he completely vanished.

"He...Atum's not gonna hold a grudge against me for choosing your idea, right?" My brow furrowed in worry as I hesitantly looked towards Thoth, the deity of knowledge settling low on his ankh.

"He nor I are wrathful towards those we provide guidance for," He merely nodded a little bit before extending one of his wings towards me, a lead feather brushing over my head and shoulder before a wave of exhaustion hit my body like a freight train, "Rest, (y/n). You have yet to fully recover."

"Will I...still be here?" I fought to keep my eyes open, "Don't throw me into the desert while I sleep."

"Your body is here. I will prepare what you'll need in my city."

"Don't betray my trust, Thoth..." I tried to sound threatening through the large yawn, the deity only offering a gentle smile.

"You are my guided. I will not lead you astray."

I took in a deep breath, stretching my arms above my head as the stretch reached down my body to my legs, feet, and toes.

A startled squawk brought me to open my eyes, feeling something soft brush against the back of my left hand. Thick black feathers swatted at my fingers before the gold-rimmed eyes of the small bird from a previous encounter captured my attention, its small black beak open to voice its displeasure.