Chapter 26: Chase

Andrew Beckett got out of his car. He cautiously entered the threshold of the room with his gun held tightly in his hand. The room was dark due to the absence of windows or holes. He searched the place for a light switch. He couldn't find any. Andrew took his flashlight out and aimed it at the roof first. There was a light bulb, but it was broken Shattered to be exact. Someone had shot it. He aimed the flashlight down and center of the room, rotating left to right and right to left with every step he took.

The room smelled of gasoline, gun powder, and drugs. It was empty and the place was so dirty and unkempt. The shelves at the right side of the room were almost collapsing because of wood rot and fungi. There were cobwebs and lizards in the corners and edges of the room. There was also a desk located at the far wall of the room. On top of it, were papers and articles and something which seemed like photos. On the area above the desk was a notice board, with pictures and red lines and dots connecting each picture.

Seeing the state of the room, it was sure that no one had been living nor coming here for a long time. Meaning that the big man had lied. He partially wanted to beat the living shit out of him, but it would be a waste of time and energy. Andrew also wanted to know why this place in particular. The man described the location very carefully and without hesitation. That must have meant, that man or his boss had been here once in his life or for a long time.

Andrew walked over to the desk and picked up the papers. There were contracts and the content in them was gruesome. It was a contract of loyalty. The penalty for breaking the terms in the contract was immediate execution. The method of execution wasn't mentioned, but Andrew knew it wouldn't be anything pretty. He was an executioner himself and he knew how gruesome a person taking their last breath look like. He felt a sudden rush of adrenaline. He quickly scanned the other contracts. He found the name of the organization. The name was Milton John Gang. It was a rather peculiar name, a British name to be exact. Maybe it was a gang with root origins from the U.K.

Beckett reached into his hip holster and placed his gun back in looking around the place once more. He reached into his back pocket, taking his agency phone and connecting it with a wireless Bluetooth earphone. He pressed the green button and the phone connected to the agency office and the line was transferred to his handler, Sigmund Fraser.

"Hey, Fraser. I need you to look up something for me." Andrew walked around the place, searching every corner in the room looking for something that could help reveal the identity of the man.

"What is it?" Fraser asked, not surprised by his sudden query.

"Give me information on...." Andrew drawled his sentence looking for the correct name on one of the contracts. "Milton John Gang." He readout.

"What does this have to do with your brother?" Fraser questioned.

"I don't know yet. I intend to find out." Beckett answered.

Fraser stayed silent, so did Andrew.

"Don't hang up. Wait there." Fraser requested.

Andrew nodded even though his handler couldn't see him.

Andrew walked near a shelf and ran his hands over the rotten wood. He knocked on some places to see if there was a hollow space. Seeing as there were none, he moved on to the drawers under the table. He opened the first drawer. It was empty. He opened the second one. That one was empty as well, but it didn't feel right. The second drawer was heavier. He opened it back again and fell around blindly on the empty wooden bottom of the drawer. He settled on a corner and pushed it hard. The opposite corner sprung up revealing more papers and photos. Whoever did this, didn't want it to be found, Andrew thought.