30 - Kiersten

Once again another Friday night is upon us. I slip on my keds, grab my tote bag off the table, and walk down to the field to meet Teddy at the game. When I get there, the teams finish up their warm ups and jog to the sideline to huddle up. Matt is the first one there as always. The rest of the team is slow getting there, but they eventually catch up and fill in the circle around his dad. His dad takes out his clipboard and starts giving orders. I shake Teddy in excitement when I see Matt heading out to the field with the starting line-up. Drew and his friends jump up and clap. Sal pats him on the back as he goes and his dad slaps the back of his helmet. I even spot Whitney and Bridgette do extra-high high kicks for him.

We calm ourselves right before the start of the first quarter. After all, we still have a whole game to play. The other team isn't great, but they have a better record than us. Then again it's pretty easy to have a better record than a team that hasn't won a single game all season. But I have a good feeling about this game. Tonight's the night we win. And Matt's going to lead us right to victory.

By the time half time rolls around, we've actually managed to grab the lead. Matt scored two touchdowns in the first quarter and the defense has actually done a decent job. I can't even tell you how good it feels to actually be winning. There's a buzz in the air. An electricity in the crowd that jump-starts your heart and kicks your butt into gear.
I know Matt feels it too by the way he sprints out to the field. He feeds off the infectious energy of the fans. The cheers reverberating through the stands give him life. Purpose. I haven't seen him this excited to play all season. He's starting to look like the aggressive, adrenaline-driven, take no prisoners Matt I've grown up watching. As they line up for the second half, he starts taking control and telling people what to do and where to be. I can see the disapproving shoulder rolls of some of the upperclassman, but they're winning for the first time all year so who are they to stop him?

Once Matt has said all he needs to say he claps his hands together and jogs back to his position. The quarter back gets the snap and Matt jumps into action. The quarter back fakes a throw downfield then hands the ball off to Matt. Matt does his own little fake out and heads towards the side lines. He doesn't travel more than five yards before the other team starts lunging after him. He dodges the first couple, but they start to close in on him.    

Luckily, one of our players follows close behind and can block for him. At least that's what he's supposed to do. But right as the other guy jumps to tackle Matt, his teammate pulls back and lets Matt get pummeled into the ground. His dad screams and the whole crowd groans as Matt flies over the sideline and rolls a good five feet off the field.
Teddy looks to me and shakes his head. I sink my shoulders in disappointment. It was still a pretty good run, but Matt would've been in the end-zone if that other guy would have just done his job and blocked for him.
"Not good, Tedward," I say and look back to the field.

I realize just how not good it is when I see Matt lying on the ground. It's not like him to not get up right away when he gets hit. Usually, when Matt gets hit he makes a point to jump back up as quickly as possible. But he's still lying there.
When he finally does get up, it's slow and forced, he's slightly bent over on one side and his body heaves forward from heavy coughing. He's hurting, but he pushes through and jogs back to the field like nothing's bothering him.
"Something's wrong," I say.

Matt tries so hard to make it seem like everything's fine and he may have the crowd and his teammates fooled, but I know him too well. Thankfully, I'm not the only one who notices he's not his usual self. His dad shoves his clipboard into the assistant coach's chest and yells for a time out. He calls for Matt to come off the field. Matt looks over to him, shakes his head, straightens up, and walks into the team huddle like he didn't hear him. His dad angry-sighs and throws his hat down on the bench. Mr. Purdy watches his hat hit the bench and then looks up. He sees our third string, Trent, sitting there and an idea springs into his head. Without a second thought, he sends him out to replace Matt. Trent happily obliges, grabs his helmet, and rushes out to the field. Even though I can't hear what he's saying, I know Matt's flat-out refusing to leave the field and insisting he's fine. The referee comes over to mediate. They have too many players on the field. One of them has to leave. Matt and Trent stare each other down. Matt shakes his head and looks over to the sideline where his dad is waiting with his arms crossed.
Matt sighs, shakes his head, and trots back to the sidelines. He rips off his helmet and throws it into the grass. He and his dad argue and then he gets sent to the locker room with the assistant coach and the athletic trainers to get checked out.

"There goes our lead," Teddy says with a sigh.

Even though I really want us to win, I mostly only want it because I know how important it is to Matt. And right now he has bigger problems. Although knowing Matt he'd probably prefer to get hurt and win than stay safe and lose.

"I hope he's okay."

"Yeah," Teddy says. "You think he'll be back for the fourth quarter?"

I shrug. I don't know much about football injuries, but I do know Matt.  He definitely wouldn't have taken his time getting up unless he really needed to. And there's no way he would come off the field if something wasn't bothering him.

"I doubt it."

"Shucks," Teddy says and stands up. "You wanna split some nachos and eat our feelings?"

I smile up at Teddy. He's speaking my language.

"Yes, please." 

"You got it, little miss."

Teddy scoots his way past the crowd to get to the concession stand. By the time Teddy gets back, we've lost possession and the other team has gained a significant amount of yardage. I take a tortilla chip, scoop out a hefty amount of cheese and crunch it between my teeth. The warm cheese squishes in my mouth. I look back at the locker room and my heart breaks at the thought of poor Matty hurt and alone.

These nachos ain't cutting it. I need popcorn. And a pretzel.