Prologue - 1

Half of the story starts with Schaffer Purdy, Emily Tyler, and a dropped pencil. Schaffer and Emily were in the same math class, although neither one was entirely aware of the other. Emily sat right in front as she always did. Schaffer on the other hand took to the back of the class. That day he had been moved up in an attempt by his teacher to get him to stop talking to his friends. Emily's pencil soared across her notebook, not missing a single detail. Schaffer sat slumped back in his chair, his notebook open, but completely blank. His pencil was being used more as a form of entertainment for him as he spun it around his fingers. It slipped between his thumb and forefinger and landed on the floor with a tiny clink. Emily heard it but ignored it. He can get it himself she thought and continued to take notes.

Schaffer didn't need his pencil. He certainly wasn't using it. Even so, he was baffled that Emily didn't even flinch when it fell. He could have easily got it himself, or even easier, just left it there. But Schaffer Purdy wasn't about taking the easy way out. Besides, she was kind of cute and he was bored. He knew about her. Class valedictorian, no one could get near her. That didn't bother Schaffer. In fact, it only compelled him. He loved a good challenge.

"Excuse me," he said leaning forward in his seat until he was right in her left ear. He was delighted in how sweet her hair smelt. Like a soft breeze floating through the grass in the summertime.

Emily looked back, but couldn't make out the face. She didn't bother to make any extra moves to figure out who it was. She just kept on writing.

"I dropped my pencil," Schaffer said softly. "Do you think you could get it for me?"

Emily sighed and pulled out an extra pencil from her binder with her free hand and held it out for whoever was behind her.

"That's real sweet," he said with a soft chuckle that annoyed Emily to no end. "But I don't want your pencil. I want mine."

Emily was glad the teacher had stopped momentarily so she could turn around to glare at the bothersome boy sitting behind her. She was surprised to see Schaffer Purdy smiling at her as if he had just discovered fire. Even more so, she was surprised when she felt her demeanor softening. She wasn't the type of girl that fell for the type of guy Schaffer was, star of the football team, but suddenly she could see why some girls did.

"I'm sorry," Emily said, angry at herself for being so kind to him.

If anyone should be apologizing, it should be him. At the same time, she just couldn't help herself. She quickly reached down and picked his pencil off the ground, and held it out to him.

"Here," she said slowly.

He looked right into her eyes and something happened to them both. He was no longer just a football player and she was no longer just the valedictorian, a challenge. They were just two people meeting for the very first time.

"Thanks," Schaffer said quietly, his eyes glued to Emily.

"You're welcome," Emily said as he took his pencil back.

Emily lingered for a few seconds more, then turned back around in her seat. Schaffer stared at the back of her head for the rest of the class, and Emily did nothing but think of him. 

That Friday night, Emily went to her first-ever varsity football game. She convinced herself it was solely for the experience itself. She had never been to a football game before, and it was the last home game of her senior year. Surely, she could not end her high school years without going to a single football game. But when she sat down and the game started, she quickly realized that she had no idea what was going on. And, unwillingly, her eyes seemed to gravitate towards only one thing. She watched him the whole time, running, falling, diving, and tackling. She hoped no one noticed her fixation. No one did. No one except the person she was watching.