Chapter One

The Thanatos were scattered among the helpless village where people Oni had known had been drained of their life source by Erebos's vile greed. The Thanatos came in multiple species but they all were subject to the same lord with a common goal; To slaughter innocents and steal their life source for an unknown purpose.

Oni however had hid inside her family's home where her parents nursed those who survived a deadly Thanatos's strike. Oni's younger sister and her had clutched at each other's hands as they consoled the injured with their child's talk of fairytales and hope. The people who they were able to speak to usually gave them a pained smile as thanks. Thier smiles never did reach their eyes though.

Ange had dropped Oni's small hand and ran over to a bucket of water to distribute to the sick. Mother happened to see her clutching the iron handle and spoke in a gentle soothing tone towards her, "Good job little Ange, my child. It appears that you wish to be a doctor someday like your mother and father, don't you?" She strode over to Ange after settling her clipboard by her hip and patted the top of Angie's ivory head. "You'll make your father and I proud someday, Ange dear."

She remembers having heard the sound of a wood being torn through as she watched her mother's head snap up in shock. She knew what was approaching yet Oni's young self didn't have a clue. Her mother's eyes held absolute terror as she took Angie roughly by the hand, pulling her towards their father. "My love! The Thanatos! Their here!" Oni's mother's fearful voice echoed throughout the room, causing panic to spread like wildfire among the injured.

Oni was helpless and afraid as those who were able to do any type of motion began to let out screams of terror and fright while running around the medium sized room frantically. She recalled yelling Ange's name countless times at the top of her lungs but there was never a reply.

Boom.

The walls that once made up her family's home were now demolished into bits of wood spread out on the ground and pouring into the Arcadian filled room were despicable monsters that only made her blood run cold and her panic rise. Oni remembers the feeling of warm salty teardrops falling from her stormy hues while the people's screams only heightened in fear around her.

Oni had peered through the mass of frantic people till her eyes rested upon a wooden wardrobe that she and Ange had used for hide-and-go-seek beforehand. She wiped at her tears and hurried her chubby five year old legs towards their old hiding spot, knowing she'd wait there until till their mother, father, or Ange came to fetch her.

But they never did come.

* * *

It felt as though an eternity had passed before the shrill screams ceased and I knew my family was not going to come for me. Blasted tears poured down my rosy tinted cheeks at the thought of Ange and my parents being torn from me and even though my father and mother had always favored my younger sister, I would never let them free from my heart.

After a moment or so of little thought I gathered what little courage I had left and cracked open the large wardrobe in sheer curiosity. Nothing but dehydrated bodies that were shriveled up, awaited me.

From that moment on I've held a vendetta against the Thanatos and Erebos, but my desire for revenge is what fueled my need to learn swordsmanship. I also vowed that day to avenge my family and village's death and I was determined to succeed. Erebos was going to be killed by my blade, or so I thought till I heard the prophecy of the Queen.

* * *

The salty sea scented market place of Farian was as bustling as ever, as I strolled right to the center of the chaos. I took in the extraordinarily cheerful faces of many who have lost important people to them due to the Thanatos, and as I always had, I felt sympathy and a sense of loss just by seeing their fraud expressions.